I should be getting my Curve tomorrow or Thursday... But I'm concerned about something.

I'm playing with a friend's Curve and Opera Mini does not function well on it. Its a stock Verizon Curve running the old 4.3 OS and it constantly stops loading images, its really laggy with scrolling, and it formats pages improperly compared to my Mogul.

Does 4.5 improve this or is this what I'm going to be stuck with?

I really don't like the BlackBerry browser... I can't even get it to load Myspace properly so I need an alternative.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Maybe there is some setting I need to change somewhere? Its pretty crazy how slow it is... I always thought the Mogul was slow but Opera Mini flies on it. Not so much on her Curve.
    10-28-08 04:31 PM
    opera has nothing to do with what os the curve is running. it looks the exact same on either 4.2, 4.3, 4.5 or 4.6

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-08 04:41 PM
    I uploaded opera mini on my new curve this morning. It's working pretty good so far.
    10-28-08 04:45 PM
    but it looks and acts 100% the same...

10-28-08 04:49 PM
    Yeah well when images stop loading on Mini, its because of the memory running out. Is there a memory cap on third party applications on the Curve?

Try going to www . engadget . com and when you start scrolling down, about 5 articles down, you'll see exactly what I mean.
    10-28-08 04:54 PM
    lol

i find that when using opera mini, i have to do battery pulls more often, even after properly closing the app

10-28-08 04:56 PM
    Yeah well when images stop loading on Mini, its because of the memory running out. Is there a memory cap on third party applications on the Curve?

Try going to www . engadget . com and when you start scrolling down, about 5 articles down, you'll see exactly what I mean.
    maybe it's the memory on her phone. I just went to that website and I had no problems. I ran all the way down and all pictures showed. My curve is only like 3 days old so not much of my memory is taken. I do know what you mean though bcuz on my pearl I had that problem and I had hardly any memory.
    10-28-08 05:04 PM
    I will wait til I get mine. Hers seems really laggy... I don't know what all she uses on it.

I know I had to do a battery pull when she first let me use it because the browser kept giving me an error that it couldn't render the page, no matter what page I went to... Not a good first impression lol.

I've got Sprint though, not Verizon, maybe mine will work better since Sprint doesn't do any crippling garbage... *fingers crossed*
    10-28-08 05:20 PM
    By the way, I don't run it in low image quality mode, I use high quality...
    10-28-08 05:25 PM
    I like the Blackberry Browser much better on 4.5. I don't even use Opera Mini anymore.
    10-28-08 05:29 PM
    so do i... hence more battery pulls...
    10-28-08 05:29 PM
    I am with ^^^. I have not found the need for OM since I upgraded to 4.5.0.93.
    10-28-08 05:32 PM
    The browser is hugely improved on 4.5? If that's the case, I might not be so frustrated. I mean I really don't do a *ton* of browsing on my phone since I carry my laptop to work with me... but when I do, I like it to be zippy and properly formatted.
    10-28-08 05:32 PM
    yeah i cant wait till sprint releases 4.5, i hope the battery life improves a little to.
    10-28-08 06:10 PM
    What are the pros of Opera Mini anyways? Do certain sites work better? i.e. m.youtube? Does it handle downloading in browser attachments better?
    10-28-08 06:24 PM
    i think myspace is the ONLY site that works better in opera...

10-28-08 06:27 PM
    I like the browser on 4.5 much better as well. The only difference is with OM I can upload and download photos to myspace. Also I noticed on the bberry browser I'm not able to reply to messages. You might be able to on the mobile version but I haven't tried it. Just the PC version
    10-28-08 06:27 PM
    I still use OM with 4.5. To me the native browser is soooo slowww compared to OM. It takes about 4x's as long to download pages on native vs OM. Also I live on facebook and a vbulletin forum, both those sites are crippled by the native browser. I can't post or reply to PM's and facebook is a joke on the native browser. This is of course just my opinion based on my personal web browsing on my berry. I only used the native browser to comment on photos on facebook, since the button is disabled on OM.
    10-28-08 06:37 PM
    I like the browser on 4.5 much better as well. The only difference is with OM I can upload and download photos to myspace. Also I noticed on the bberry browser I'm not able to reply to messages. You might be able to on the mobile version but I haven't tried it. Just the PC version
    i had no idea you could do that!!!
    10-28-08 06:47 PM
    I use OM for a few sites that aren't mobile-friendly.

I prefer the native browser.
    10-28-08 07:00 PM
    See, Opera Mini is *THE* fastest browser you can get on Windows Mobile and just about every other device (Skyfire is fast but between loading and scroll times, Opera Mini wins)... But it seems like I'm going to have to give that up on the BlackBerry.

Skyfire needs to hurry up and release a BlackBerry version...
    10-28-08 07:01 PM
    i had no idea you could do that!!!
    Yep..just click the menu, page information,download images,click on the picture you want, scroll down click open, save image.

To upload it's easy just like you were on a regular PC. You just have to click on the link that says "If you don't see the Upload Photo forum above click here"
    10-28-08 07:09 PM
    ooh, or firefox mobile!
    10-28-08 07:10 PM
    Yep..just click the menu, page information,download images,click on the picture you want, scroll down click open, save image.

To upload it's easy just like you were on a regular PC. You just have to click on the link that says "If you don't see the Upload Photo forum above click here"

you just won hero status in my heart!
    10-28-08 07:12 PM
    ooh, or firefox mobile!
    I don't think that the currently-released blackberries could run Fennec. The Storm probably could but I highly doubt that the other berries have the processing power and RAM required for it.
    10-28-08 07:14 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD