Memory cards vary widely in the way the work. SanDisk has proven reliable. When I wrote my post http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/micr...c-cards-46673/ I had already tried a couple of other makes of no-brandname cards that did not work.

There seems to be no real specification - I search Google fo about 2 hours looking for specifications. I suspect that there are minor timing differences between makes. Some work, some do not.

The thing to do is to make sure that you have right or refund at the store. I note in my article that if you buy a SanDisk card that is sold as bulk purchase, it will be cheaper but you do not have a SanDisk warranty. Your warranty is only with the vendor.
    07-29-08 01:09 PM
    Memory cards vary widely in the way the work. SanDisk has proven reliable. When I wrote my post http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/micr...c-cards-46673/ I had already tried a couple of other makes of no-brandname cards that did not work.

There seems to be no real specification - I search Google fo about 2 hours looking for specifications. I suspect that there are minor timing differences between makes. Some work, some do not.

The thing to do is to make sure that you have right or refund at the store. I note in my article that if you buy a SanDisk card that is sold as bulk purchase, it will be cheaper but you do not have a SanDisk warranty. Your warranty is only with the vendor.
    Ah yeah, that's what I had read, about the bulk/warranty, etc. I ended up getting a retail product for just about the same price anyway!
    07-29-08 01:12 PM
    I've never had a sandisk problem in any of my other devices.
    I got the 4 gig for BB
    07-29-08 01:19 PM
    I have a pny technologies one never had an issue

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    yup

PNY 2GB!

works great!
    07-29-08 01:30 PM
    Anyone have issues with an 8GB card? I just got a (Sandisk) 8GB card and the Curve seems to want to call it a 4GB card, or it tells me to remove it and run error-checking software on it. (I've been running a 4GB card with no problems - just decided to go bigger.)

The card itself seems fine when I connect it to the computer via a card reader.

Are there any "tricks" to making an 8GB card work, or should it just work?

I'm running the stock 4.2 OS, FYI.
    07-29-08 01:57 PM
    Anyone have issues with an 8GB card? I just got a (Sandisk) 8GB card and the Curve seems to want to call it a 4GB card, or it tells me to remove it and run error-checking software on it. (I've been running a 4GB card with no problems - just decided to go bigger.)

I think the particular model of your Curve may matter, but no matter what I think you'll need at least OS 4.3 for it to recognize 8GB.
    07-29-08 02:13 PM
    I just ordered one.. its coming soon.
    07-29-08 02:14 PM
    I just ordered one.. its coming soon.
    Cool, me too. In fact, I just ordered it a few hours ago and I just got the email confirmation that it has shipped! Can't wait to try it out! I'm hoping this will fix the problem I have with the "stuttering" songs when I play music. Maybe the preinstalled card just isn't that good....
    07-29-08 02:16 PM
    Cool, me too. In fact, I just ordered it a few hours ago and I just got the email confirmation that it has shipped! Can't wait to try it out! I'm hoping this will fix the problem I have with the "stuttering" songs when I play music. Maybe the preinstalled card just isn't that good....
    mine is for pictures and stuff. I dont have enuff space and apparantly it stops the call log and i cant get text messages. I refuse to pay for something i cant use!
    07-29-08 02:26 PM
    Sandisk is the most popular brand, however A-Data produces very good memory products as well.

Both are excellent brands.
    07-29-08 02:35 PM
    Right now I have a PNY micro sd card and it works great and it was half the price as a scandisk one.

07-29-08 02:45 PM

The 8Gb card is not supported under your OS.

* BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2GB microSD
    * BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4GB microSDHC
    * BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4GB microSDHC
    * BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8GB microSDHC
    * BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0 Up to 8GB microSDHC
    * BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 Up to 32GB microSDHC - rumored for the Bold et al
    * Verizon 4.2.2.196 OS supports up to 8GB source JeffH - thanks
    07-29-08 03:08 PM
    I buy whatever is cheapest!
    I just go with whatever is the cheapest. They all do the same thing.

Same here, the cheapest....wins.

I went to radioshack to get a 4gig card for $35 and the guy tried to sell me a 1 year warranty for for maybe $10, I told him in a year the card won't be worth $5 lol
    07-29-08 03:09 PM
    I have a 2 gb card
    07-29-08 04:29 PM
    i used a variety of different memory cards in my phones. i've used cheap versions like PNC, kingston etc. and i've also used better ones like sandisk they all work fine for me
    07-29-08 04:30 PM
    I bought the same A-Data 8gb card from Fry's electronics, frys.com.

its working perfect in my 8320 with 4.5.
    07-29-08 05:50 PM
    I have a 1gb "TOPRAM" that my buddy gave to me. And it's been off and on. Sometimes it doesn't recognize the card, then if i do i soft reboot we're all good again. I think I'll be getting my hands on a 4gb San Disk sometime soon
    07-29-08 07:10 PM
    SanDisk 8GB MicroSDHC Memory Card with MobileMate Reader (Retail Package) for $35 at Amazon!
    07-29-08 08:21 PM
    SanDisk 8GB MicroSDHC Memory Card with MobileMate Reader (Retail Package) for $35 at Amazon!
    Yep, exactly what I finally decided on today!
    07-29-08 09:40 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD