Ok, I got my bb curve a few months ago and during that time, the verizon employee that I bought my phone from told me that all blackberries need to have online to keep the device active. Is this true cause my girlfriend wants one but thinks her parents won't allow another $30 for their bill to b added on for in�ernet purposes. She loved my curve and especially my red ball (hehe). Any help would b appreciated. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-08 05:46 PM
    You don't have to a data plan to have a BB. Maybe to get a discounted price on the phone your provider might make you sign up for data. But w/ my old curve on ATT I bought it refurb as to get around the requirement of a data package to get the good price. I just had my regular voice plan and text plan which actually did have a small amount of data, but I could have canceled it at any time w/ no problems. So no you don't NEED a data plan, it is a phone after all. It's just not really a Blackberry w/o it (as many say)
    07-14-08 05:53 PM
    Verizon makes you purchase a data plan when you buy a BlackBerry, and what kmeyers02 said is true... without email and web capabilities, what's the point of getting a BB?
    07-14-08 05:55 PM
    No, that's false, unless it is a condition of your contract or purchase. Without a data plan, it's a very expensive glorified phone, though. No BB Messenger, no e-mail, no web, especially if you don't have WiFi. Some people do it, but I fail to see the point in spending so much on a device and crippling it out of the box. JMHO

07-14-08 05:57 PM
    You can get a Curve without data, to answer your question. And everyone has their own personal reasons for getting a BlackBerry... yes, you lose functionality without data and I am sure he understand that!!

His OP specifically says it is for his GF who does not know if her parents would like the idea of 30 bucks a month for data (which is pretty expensive if you think about it!! $360 a year... worth it for some, not for others!)
    07-14-08 05:58 PM
    I am going to keep saying this:

If the person likes the features, form factor, etc of the phone
    GET IT. Even without data the BB is still a perfectly acceptable
    phone. This you MUST have data crap really needs to stop.

We are not paying anyone else's bill, so how about letting
    them decide what they do or do not need on their phone.
    07-14-08 06:02 PM
    Thanks for all the help. And yes, its for my girlfriend. She wants it more for the "looks" and "style" then the power or performance of it. I'm still explaining what a battery pull does. and since its verizon, $99 isn't to bad of a price for a phone that u kno is rather perfect.

07-14-08 06:06 PM

Kudos.......well said..........those that pimp "must haves" are surely lacking a modicum of subjectiveness and common sense.....
    07-14-08 06:15 PM
    I agree with you(^) and AG. However, data is sure nice to have. @ OP, if a data plan is something you want and you're not sure if your parents will kick, maybe ask for it, AND ask what you can do to pay for it as well. Maybe they can work something out.
    07-14-08 06:19 PM
    Ok, I got my bb curve a few months ago and during that time, the verizon employee that I bought my phone from told me that all blackberries need to have online to keep the device active. Is this true cause my girlfriend wants one but thinks her parents won't allow another $30 for their bill to b added on for in�ernet purposes. She loved my curve and especially my red ball (hehe). Any help would b appreciated. Thanks!

I got my curve with no data plan and it was still a great phone.Though I just got unlimited data plan added today and I must say that in my opinion it is 100% worth it. Still great either way though. Good luck!

07-14-08 06:25 PM

Rock on!!! I agree
    07-14-08 06:30 PM
    I say if she really likes the phone and wants it then get it. However, Verizon will make you add a data plan when you go to activate the phone.
    07-14-08 06:32 PM
    I didn't have a data plan (per se, I had only 5mb of data a month attached to my text plan; but everything like push email, BB messanger, etc didn't work) and I loved the phone. It's great for texting, looks good, etc. Now I have a curve on TMO, but w/ email only and no data. So I don't have the works, but it works for me and I love it! Just get what YOU (or in this case your gf) wants!!
    07-14-08 06:36 PM

Lol while I have to agree with this... Not all carriers will allow you to go with out a data plan. For alltel it is a must have, doesn't matter in what condition or where you bought the phone. I don't know if any other carriers have this... So really it just depends on her carrier.
    07-14-08 06:38 PM
    So is verizon one of those "must have" data plans or not? Its sorta a mixed story here now. Haha, she just wants it for txting mainly.

07-14-08 07:02 PM
    No, that's false, unless it is a condition of your contract or purchase. Without a data plan, it's a very expensive glorified phone, though. No BB Messenger, no e-mail, no web, especially if you don't have WiFi. Some people do it, but I fail to see the point in spending so much on a device and crippling it out of the box. JMHO

But you don't have Verizon... with Verizon they make you get a data plan

I say if she really likes the phone and wants it then get it. However, Verizon will make you add a data plan when you go to activate the phone.
    ...See
    07-14-08 07:03 PM
    Again, I don't pay anyone else's cell bill so I do not get to tell them
    what to spend their money on. Neither do you or the other 200k +
    members of CB. That is my point.
    Point noted. Really though I don't think anyone is telling her how to spend the money, just that they think that the data plan is a very nice enhancment.
    07-14-08 07:04 PM
    Point noted. Really though I don't think anyone is telling her how to spend the money, just that they think that the data plan is a very nice enhancment.
    I realized I read your post wrong and deleted mine. Sorry about that.
    07-14-08 07:05 PM
    I realized I read your post wrong and deleted mine. Sorry about that.
    No worries! and to answer leingod, I honestly don't know. Any Verizon employees here?
    07-14-08 07:08 PM
    If you go with a carrier that gives you the option, you can always add unlimited data if and when you're ready. I started with the email only on tmo and later added the unlimited data for 19.99 a month. Wow what a difference!

07-14-08 07:16 PM
    Oh well. We sorta worked out a deal. Now I just have to hope verizon will go along with it. I'll pay for her data plan until the end of my winter semester at college, then she can either cancel her data plan and hopefully still keep her BB running or just find a way to pay for it. Why do phone company's have to charge such a premium for everything. It's not even like a) they need the money or b) offering anything "futuristic or next gen". Oh well, whats one persons opinion worth online anyways? Now I sorta regret getting rid of my BB messenger. We will b using that non-stop. I might have to re-d/l that right now.....and maybe start with my phone on tips and tricks for when she gets hers.
    07-14-08 08:04 PM
    The money for the data plan a majority of that price goes to RIM for the BlackBerry server and of course your carrier get a piece to cover additional cost for adding a BB tech dept for all of those phone calls.

07-14-08 08:16 PM
    I learned here and confirmed with Verizon that yes, you must have a data plan with a BB phone for Verizon. They won't acyivate it without it. I do not know if it can be canceled after it is activated but I highly doubt it.

Do not rely what a Verizon rep tells you in chat or in any other department other than sales/telesales. They don't know or might give you incorrect information as they did with me yesterday.

I am still on the fence to see if I can afford this extra 30 a month with my bill.
    07-14-08 08:17 PM
    Screw it...Im going to my verizon store tomorrow and just "checking" to see if I can deactivate my data plan but keep my phone running.
    07-14-08 08:39 PM

Man up and buy it for her. She deserves it!

07-14-08 09:55 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD