I know this is a common problem, and I've done some searching, but I suspect there's more info out there I'm not finding.

I upgraded to the free 2.0 version of documents-to-go. But everytime I try to install another app, when I go into Desktop manager 4.7, DTG is listed as having a pending downgrade to 1.0. I found and did everything it says here

DocID: 14193 - Blackberry Desktop Manager downgrades Documents To Go to an older version.

to no avail. I've seen some comments that there's a DocumentsToGo.alx file somewhere I have to delete, but I can't find it.

Has anyone fixed this and lived to tell?

Thanks!!
    /j
    12-05-09 08:20 PM
    I had the same problem. I contacted DataViz, and they sent me this link. DocID: 14193 - Blackberry Desktop Manager downgrades Documents To Go to an older version. I was able to fix it. The path on Windows 7 is C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000-v4.6.0.304_P4.0.0.247 (for me or whatever Blackberry OS you have on your computer)
    Last edited by lak611; 12-05-09 at 08:30 PM.
    12-05-09 08:23 PM
    umm - isn't that the same link I posted that didn't work for me 8-}
    thanks anyway 8-}
    /j
    12-05-09 08:33 PM
    umm - isn't that the same link I posted that didn't work for me 8-}
    thanks anyway 8-}
    /j
    I did give the path to find the files.
    12-05-09 08:50 PM
    Sorry - should have explained - this is a new install of DesktopManager 4.7, and there is no Shared folder under Research In Motion. I'm setting up my wife's new curve on her machine (WINXPHomeSP3). On my (similar) machine where I did the install 9 months ago, I can see the shared folder, and where I renamed the offending alx file. But on her machine, under program files\common files\Research In Motion\ there is no shared folder. There ae a small number of folders and most of them are inconsequential. I can't find anything like what I see under Shared on my machine.

I've searched her entire PC for DocumentsToGo.* without any luck.

and yet, everytime I open DM, it wants to downgrade (sigh).

Thanks anyhoo though, any other ideas, i hope? 8-}
    /j
    12-05-09 08:58 PM
    You could try downloading the same OS that is on your wife's BB onto her PC from RIM's Web site, then removing the file before connecting her BB to DM.
    12-05-09 09:05 PM
    Interesting - I can try that
    /j
    12-05-09 09:09 PM
    thanks - but no luck - i installed the same rev of the SW off Verizon's webpage, got the shared folder, renamed the DocumentsToGo.alx to DocumentsToGo.oldalx and started up DesktopManager (4.7) - it still wants to downgrade to 1.0.

note: the reason I may not see this in my install is that she's running DTG 2.0 and I'm running an upgraded 1.0 (and in my Desktop Manager, DTG actually shows up twice).

anyway - if you know any way to get rid of the downgrade, I'd again be willing to try anything.
    thanks!
    /j
    12-05-09 09:47 PM
    The only other thing I can think of is trying CrackMem. http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ne...memory-142376/

Or maybe BBSAK. RIMGeeks.com • View topic - [Beta][8/18/09] BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife v1.5
    Last edited by lak611; 12-05-09 at 10:26 PM.
    12-05-09 10:22 PM
    thanks, but -the first just offers the file renaming I do manually. the 2nd -might- help, but it's really too sophisticated, I'd be dangerous with it unless you know exactly what i should do.
    I wonder if it's worth calling RIM support.... the DTG people claim it's a DM issue.
    (or maybe upgrade to DM 5.0? - is it stable/safe?)
    /j
    12-05-09 11:39 PM
    DUH DUH DUH

don't rename the file to *.oldalx - it picks up the alx on the end.

renamed it to DocumentsToGo.old

all better now 8-}
    thanks
    /j
    12-05-09 11:51 PM
    What I did was simply uninstall the BlackBerry OS from the PC using Control Panel. Didn't delete the downloaded OS file, just uninstalled. Voila - no more D2G downgrades. Perhaps your situation is different or you need the OS to be installed and active, but that fixed the problem for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-09 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD