I recently had to call tech support for RIM, and in the process I had to re install the OS 4.5 from the verizon website. In the process of re installing I had to select different apps to upload. In the process I discovered that Documents to Go, a microsoft document viewing app is included in the Verizon 4.5OS download. It is not a default app to be loaded into your phone, you have to select it when re installing it. Ok for all you wise asses out there, if you already knew this good for you! Please don't reply smartass remarks! If you want help figuring it out feel free to pin me and I can help! Or if you just want another person to chat with!

Bruce
    Pin#30412D7A

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 11:37 PM
    Not being a wise a$$ but how to install Docs2Go has been posted
    and addressed no less the 3000 times. A simple search will do the trick.
    12-02-08 11:39 PM
    it installed automatically for me when I bought my 8330 and updated it with 4.5.0.77 the same day I brought it home.

12-02-08 11:42 PM
    Thanks for the info bruce.....when I upgraded I remember seeing it but somehow did not get it on my phone. Now I gotta re-download
    12-03-08 01:18 AM
    it installed automatically for me when I bought my 8330 and updated it with 4.5.0.77 the same day I brought it home.

So in other words you have had your blackberry for like a month? Can you say bandwagon?

12-03-08 01:36 AM
    I already knew this ;^P

Btw, if you check for updates it will add another app, I think the spreadsheets may not be included until you do this.

12-03-08 08:35 AM
    The Docs-to-go with OS 4.5 is a good thing but somewhat limited. There are two additional nuggets of information you need at this point.

1.) You can't create new documents, but there is a trick/work-around.
    Save a blank MS-Word file on the BB and when/as needed, open it and then do a save-as. This will get around the inability to create new docs. The same thing goes for Excel files.

2.) Excel not visible by default.
    Depending on your install, you'll probably see Word and Powerpoint. To get Excel, you have to register at the Docs-to-go site and then you're provided with a product update which results in the Excel icon appearing. Can't remember the exact process, but the update/register (or whatever its called) is done from within the MS-Word app on the BB.

These tips are not mine. They were provided by others in the CB community and have been passed along.

Wayne
    12-03-08 09:28 PM
    So in other words you have had your blackberry for like a month? Can you say bandwagon?

This coming from a guy with 8 posts?
    12-03-08 11:29 PM
    Great discovery......
    12-03-08 11:47 PM
    Thanks for telling those who didn't know about it, Bruce. Keep in mind that after you register your D2G and download the free upgrade, apploader will downgrade your copy back to the version without the Excel when you use it to add apps or upgrade. The solution is to this is to rename docs to go's extension. Here are the instructions for renaming. ;

If you do an OS upgrade after you have this new version of Docs To Go installed do the following before loading the new OS:

1. Navigate to C:/program files/common files/research in motion/loader files/<your BBModel and OS version>/
    2. Rename DocumentsToGo.alx to DocumentsToGo.old.
    3. Install the OS (or continue with my edits as outlined in the Optimize your BB Memory thread.)

This way when Apploader is run, the loader will pick up Docs to Go as a 3rd party app and back it up and restore it normally. If you don't delete or rename the DocumentsToGo.alx file the loading process will downgrade the Docs To Go to the version included in the OS. We'll have to do this until RIM includes the new version in the OS packages.

The instructions come from berryreview.

12-04-08 03:37 AM
    Not being a wise a$$ but how to install Docs2Go has been posted
    and addressed no less the 3000 times. A simple search will do the trick.
    Ya beat me 2 it AG but thass exactly what I was gonna say!
    12-04-08 03:52 AM
    I recently had to call tech support for RIM, and in the process I had to re install the OS 4.5 from the verizon website. In the process of re installing I had to select different apps to upload. In the process I discovered that Documents to Go, a microsoft document viewing app is included in the Verizon 4.5OS download. It is not a default app to be loaded into your phone, you have to select it when re installing it. Ok for all you wise asses out there, if you already knew this good for you! Please don't reply smartass remarks! If you want help figuring it out feel free to pin me and I can help! Or if you just want another person to chat with!

Bruce
    Pin#30412D7A

i dont have verizon - can i still get it for free?
    219-xxx-xxxx
    10-24-09 11:52 PM
    i dont have verizon - can i still get it for free?
    219-xxx-____
    Posting your phone number is SUCH a bad idea. Welcome to CB.
    10-25-09 12:30 AM
    i confused i have the 8900 with 5.0.0.314 can i do this for docs to go
    10-25-09 01:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD