I just got my 8310 today. And i have a few questions.

1) do pin messages need the net or what?

2) also what is benificial on using pin messaging?

3) any tips would be sick. i had some more but idk what they were so yea
    thanks!
    06-05-09 01:58 AM
    You need data for PIN messaging.

PIN messaging does not count as text.

In other words you don't get charged extra for PIN messaging.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-09 02:01 AM
    so if u have data but no text its better but thats about it?
    06-05-09 02:05 AM
    Read the BlackBerry 101 Lecture Series. You can find a link in my sig. There is a wealth of information there, especially for first timers.

Enjoy and have fun!
    06-05-09 02:06 AM
    so if u have data but no text its better but thats about it?
    It's only for BlackBerry users. One BB to another.
    06-05-09 02:09 AM
    I just got my 8310 today. And i have a few questions.

3) any tips would be sick. i had some more but idk what they were so yea
    thanks!
    Check out those 101 lectures for sure. Here's some great links on apps to check out too. Welcome to crackberry!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/bla...a-apps-236714/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...d-links-21096/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/wha...ions-bb-14431/
    06-05-09 09:53 AM
    BB to BB is ssoooo hot there's nooo way to say ya didn't get the message. LOL
    06-05-09 10:03 AM
    PIN messages also atleast for me are pretty much sent/recieved immediately instead of the one or two minute delays with text sometimes
    06-05-09 11:58 AM
    and it uses very little data so with a minimum data plan u can still PIN without much worries
    06-05-09 12:11 PM
    I love the PIN message system too. I would imagine that it works like AIM or Yahoo Messenger, right?

06-05-09 02:29 PM
    I love the PIN message system too. I would imagine that it works like AIM or Yahoo Messenger, right?

I don't think so, no.

PIN messaging is PTP (Point To Point) just like SMS. The major benefits are unlike a text message it can be about any size you like, no 160 character cap. And the other is the encryption, very secure unlike other protocols that can be intercepted by 3rd parties and viewed.
    06-05-09 02:58 PM
    PIN messages are encrypted automatically, but other than that, it's really not much different from something like Instango using AIM or some other IM protocol. So, the only real benefits are that it's much harder for someone to successfully pull off a man in the middle attack and intercept your messages. That, and it's already on your phone (BB Messenger) so as long as you only want to talk to other BB owners, no need to install additional software.
    06-05-09 03:33 PM
    PIN-to-PIN transmission security: PIN-to-PIN is not suitable for exchanging sensitive messages. Although PIN-to-PIN messages are encrypted using Triple-DES, the key used is a global cryptographic “key” that is common to every BlackBerry device all over the world. This means any BlackBerry device can potentially decrypt all PIN-to-PIN messages sent by any other BlackBerry device, if the messages can be intercepted and the destination PIN spoofed. Further, unfriendly third parties who know the key could potentially use it to decrypt messages captured over the air. Note that the “BlackBerry Solution Security Technical Overview” document published by RIM specifically advises users to “consider PIN messages as scrambled, not encrypted”.
    06-05-09 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD