I checked my hotmail account the other day and saw an email from John, an old friend. Upon opening it, it said something about a new electronics online store I should check out. I deleted it right away feeling that something was wrong. After asking other friends who received the same email if our old buddy had lost it, they told me someone hacked his hotmail account and was spamming everyone on his contact list. Then two days later, they asked me if I got a new number because John got a text from me saying that my phone number had changed. This is wierd on many levels b/c I don't even has his #. I am guessing the spammer picked my # from me checking my email via my curve some how and sent that msg to him.
    My question is, do I have something to worry about here? Will spamming ocur on my behalf? Do I need to call vzw and let them know?
    I also wanted to give everyone a warning / heads up on this.
    Last edited by vinndy; 10-16-08 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Title change, i need an answer
    10-15-08 03:00 PM
    bump
    please i really need an answer
    10-16-08 07:52 AM
    I don't know...guess it's possible cause when you open images with your BB you can get the BB's ip address...but would that expose your phone number? No idea.
    10-16-08 08:31 AM
    thanks for taking the time to respond. I guess now my question has another part, does the IP address link to the phone number somewhere. I bet it does.
    10-16-08 09:44 AM
    Well this is the only thing I can think of.. Everything that connects to the inet should have a mac address which identifies what you're using but they can't get much info off of that. Well since you use the inet on your phone it has to go through your service provider before it goes to the internet and your service provider acts as the gateway for your inet. It seems very unreasonable that they would be able to identify your number from this, it shouldn't be linked in anyway. If I had to take a guess on what happened, your old friend john had his contacts in detail and they sent him a msg from their phone with your name saying that it was you're new number. They didn't actually have your number, just another phone with another number. I think you'll be alright imo. Don't think too much into it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-08 10:08 AM
    thanks bizN. It hasn't happened again since, so I guess (hope) it's cool.
    10-16-08 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD