I'm new to BB. I just received the Curve 3320 w/WiFi.
    I was assured by the sales rep I wouldn't have to pay any additional fees to use my gmail on my new BB if I was by my router or in a hot spot like at Starbucks. My mail isn't working. I'm getting so many conflicting answers my heads spinning. Here's an email I sent to the last rep that asked me to email him once I was in a hot spot using my new phone to be sure it worked. I tried emailing myself at home to my desktop to no avail.
    I'm hoping someone has an answer here I can understand. I really can't afford to pay for more sevices other then my basic family plan right now. I thought the fact the 3329 had WiFi I could email for free from the right locations. My letter to the rep below:
    Thanks so much for your help..
    Frustrated on Long Island aka Andy
    I went to starbucks last night and my BB said I was connected to Wifi but I tried emailing my wife at home as well as my own email address but she never recieved to mail nor did I. I tried several attempts to no avail.I have a Gmail acct as well as one from Optonline which is my provider here on LI in NY.

You had told me that I didn't need to pay a monthly fee besides what I already pay for my basic family plan (3 of us on my family plan) in order to use email on my blackberry as long as I was in a hot spot like starbucks or by a home router I was connected to. That sounded right to me but it hasn't worked.

I did post a question in BlackBerry's forum a cpl of days ago b/4 I spoke with you saying that I assumed I didn't need to pay any additional fees for email if I was in a hot spot and I just got one replay last night that said
    "Sorry for the answer but you are wrong.
    For setup email in the blackberry device ( 8320 or bold ) you need any blackberry data plan, is not enough with the wifi.
    Only with wifi you can surf the web and check the email through web pages, you can't setup any email".

His answer seems a little typo'd...lol...but I think he's saying I do need to pay extra?
    Could you please help me understand which it is? I'm going to need to send my phone back or exchange it for a different one if I do in fact need to pay additional fees b/c I can't really afford that presently.
    Thank you so much for your time
    andy clifford
    01-04-09 07:45 AM
    You have to log into the gmail website to send and receive email, using the hotspot browser. you wont get push email, since you need a data plan to get BIS access. Go into options icon > advanced options > browser and set the default browser to WiFi browser. THen go to your browser and direct it to mail.google.com and you will be able to log into gmail. Once there, compose an email as you would on your computer, send it, and you will be able to send/receive.
    01-04-09 07:53 AM
    I have friends that have gmail forwarded to their BB, so I know it works. Now I wasnt so smart, I went and paid yahoo $19.99/yr for their "yahoo plus" pop mail

When the one year is up 1-19-09, Im going to set up a gmail account since their pop access is free.
    01-04-09 08:08 AM
    nevermind
    01-04-09 01:18 PM
    Also you need to set up your device for WiFi, link below. I will advise you to spend the $ and get a data plan. This way you various emails will be pushed to your device. My tired old line is a BlackBerry without data is just a phone.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 01:49 PM
    i wish i could add wifi to my 8310 so i wouldnt have to pay 30 a month for bis ...
    01-04-09 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD