Well, I hate to rain on the Curve parade, but I have to say, so far, I've had it for a week and I really am not impressed. Before my Curve, I had a Pearl that never gave me any problems and worked like a charm. I switched to the Curve so that I could have the full QWERTY keyboard, which I really like. However....

So far, I cannot use the internet on my Curve without it shutting down. I'll get to where it opens a page and then all of a sudden the screen goes blank and the red light comes on. I can't be on the phone for more than 10 to 15 minutes without it shutting down (yes, the battery is charged and yes, I've done battery pulls). I check the memory and I have close to 20MB of room left, plus I have a 4GB SD card as well. So memory isn't an issue. What's the deal?

I'm sorry, but for the quality I'm used to in RIM products, the Curve so far has been a huge disappointment. What's the point in having a "smart" phone if the stupid thing won't work for you?

Anyone else having these crash issues? Is it a software or hardware problem?
    09-08-07 09:09 PM
    You know what, send me your Curve!
    09-08-07 09:33 PM
    Shamrox - sorry to hear about your issues with the Curve - but if they were universal across all Curves, then there wouldn't be so many happy peops in the Curve parade you described. There's clearly something unusual - and wrong - with your Curve. Might be hardware, might be software.

Possible that an OS update would make a difference - have you explored this?

Also possible that, even with a new one, the battery could be defective -- this is not unheard of. Might be worth trying out the phone again with a new battery.

If neither of these work, there's a good chance there's something defective in the hardware itself. The problems you're describing are NOT typical Curve behavior!

(and if you don't want to send it to Navilyn, send it to me! I'll even pay postage!)
    09-08-07 09:36 PM
    Call t-m c.s. And they will send you a replacement. Don't go to the store.
    Just call 411 and they will help you. I have had great luck with them.
    09-08-07 10:55 PM
    Does sound like a OS issue to me.

All RIM products are pretty robust. Mine died the other night and after havig tried everything through to calling RIM for a replacement, i managed to do an OS update to the latest OS (Smartfone-Vodafone) and needless to say it did revive itself.

The worst issue i have heard of with a Curve is the dust issue, but even that is repairable.
    09-09-07 04:37 AM
    Call t-m c.s. And they will send you a replacement. Don't go to the store.
    Just call 411 and they will help you. I have had great luck with them.
    Customer Care is, indeed, very good.

I've also had excellent experience with the Corporate Stores. They've essentially made it clear that will replace any device that fails within the warranty period - and I had a change to exercise that policy recently (with a motorola RIZR for another family member). It was a week old, stopped working properly - I took it to the Corp Store, and within 15 minutes I walked out with a brand new RIZR - no hassles whatsover. I believe the standard warranty at TMo is 1 year on a phone - but you should check to be sure. Customer Care may be appropriate (or necessary) sometimes - but when I'm impatient for results, and the local Corp Store will accommodate me, I'd rather go there.
    09-09-07 08:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD