I was devastated to find this morning that all my emails and text messages have disappeared from my 8310. The O2 BB Tech Help desk just said the device reset itself and they can't retrieve anything - is that true??
    11-27-08 03:34 AM
    Not quite. This is a very common issue with low memory. When
    memory on the device gets too low the phone deletes things it
    considers space wasters (garbage). But they are right once
    things get deleted they are gone for good.

1) options > status. Look at the number for file free. It should be
    no less than 12,xxx,xxx. If lower than that bad things will start happening.

2) Pull battery (with phone on, leave out for 30 seconds and
    put it back) Check memory again.

3) At some point go through the memory optimization guide in
    my signature. Also download and install Crack Mem (also in my
    sig). That will help automate some of the process.

You may also want to consider not saving texts,MMS and emails unless
    they are absolutely required.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 11-27-08 at 03:45 AM.
    11-27-08 03:43 AM
    I see your in good hands!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 05:14 AM
    Nicely done AG, love that new avatar by the way!
    11-27-08 05:23 AM
    Acouple other things to get in the habit of doing is to clear your event log and browser's cache. These two setps can free up memory as well. It's always a good idea to monitor your free memory status every few days to make sure you're in good shape, and when it gets low, do the maintenance of what AG suggested and clearing your logs. Instead of a battery pul to free memory, a hard reset works well. Also be sure to follow the memory guide ag put up.

Clear the Event Log: Open the log (alt-lglg)> press menu key> select clear log.

To clear cache, while in your browser> press menu key> select options> select cache operations> select clear content cache> press back.

Reset Curve: press alt>right shift>delete keys at the same time.

Hard Reset: press the alt>right shift>delete keys again after the BlackBerry's screen lights up after the first reset.

Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 06:35 AM
    Well thank you guys, looks like I have to face up to losing my entire life overnight
    Thanks for the tips. I'll make sure I do that. I've already freed up a bit of memory by deleting pics and it looks a bit healthier. Still devastated though!!
    11-27-08 08:49 AM
    Well thank you guys, looks like I have to face up to losing my entire life overnight
    Thanks for the tips. I'll make sure I do that. I've already freed up a bit of memory by deleting pics and it looks a bit healthier. Still devastated though!!
    Do you have a media card? You can move all but the preloaded pictures to your media card. Open media, press menu key, select move, navagate up until you get to your media card, press menu key and select move here. You can do this faster on your PC. Plug in, select enable mass storage mode when it asks, open My Computer and identify your berry's drive, open and drag and drop from there. Also, set your berry up to save pictures to your card, this is in the memory guide in my and AG's signatures.

Photo Save to Media Card: Open camera> push menu key> select options> select store pictures on media card. There are also several other photo settings in this menu box

I am sorry you lost your emails and texts. Did you ever save them to the save folder? Another thing to get in the habit of doing is to install Desktop Manager to your PC, open it and select back-up restore and make back-up copies of your device. I do this weekly to ensure I have my files backed-up. You never know when you'll need them. Here's the link to the most recent desktop manager, 4.7. Get the version without media manager -- it's slow and it is easier to drag and drop as if your device were a flash drive. Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22
    Last edited by exelant; 11-27-08 at 09:23 AM.
    11-27-08 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD