Hello all,

I have a BlackBerry Curve that I just got about three days ago and when I got it I used the Desktop Software to migrate from my Pearl to the Curve. It was a very convinient option. However I had heard people say that they felt the Curves backlight was much brighter than the Pearl but when I hold the Curve and the Pearl side by side with the same frog background , both auto backlight off , both 100 percent brightness the Curve is not near as bright as the Pearl.

There are a few times I have pulled the Curve out of its case and the screen is super bright for a few seconds and it quickly dims. So I would go into options and make sure the auto BL is off , and it was. But it keeps doing this.

Then this morning I was leaned against the bathroom counter somewhat underneath the direct lighting and the backlight kept getting bright then dim then bright and so forth the whole time I was typing. Auto BL still set to off. This ever hapen with anybody elses Curve?

Also while we are on the subject a lot of the times I am typing the keyboard light will kick ON halfway through typing a message. I would not have noticed it wasn't even on until it kicks on anyways but last night I was typing an email in the dark and that's when it was really a pain. I could not see the keys for a good 15 -20 seconds until the the KB backlight kicks on. Is that normal for the rest of you Curves?

Could either of these problems be caused from using the desktop to migrate from the Pearl to the Curve? Do I need to wipe the Curve and start from scratch?

Thanks for reading me !!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 10:06 AM
    have you tried doing a hard reboot by pulling the battery while running and waiting 30 seconds before putting it back in? if not, this will likely fix it as deep rooted options like that tend to need a reboot to affix the new setting.

as for the keyboard, it's backlight will continue to switch on or off depending on lighting conditions.
    07-11-08 10:12 AM
    I did a battery pull yesterday , not on purpose though. I was installing my new 8gb card that came in the mail. I will now "purposely" do a battery pull and see if it helps.

Thanks

07-11-08 10:19 AM
    yes, oakie is correct. Welcome to CB. Post if you have any more questions.
    07-11-08 10:19 AM
    No battery pull did not fix it. At first I thought it had but I just walked outside with my phone for a few minutes then came back inside and a few seconds later it dimmed again. Now everytime I walk under a skylight in the shop it shoots to super bright and then dims again after I have passed under it

07-11-08 11:22 AM
    People say that it's supposed to do that. which doesn;t make sense. When it gets bright it should get bright on the the screen and when not(normal light) it will stay low...
    07-11-08 11:37 AM
    Yeah that's kinda my point. It IS supposed to do that IF the auto backlight is enabled. I have disabled the auto backlight so it should not do it anymore but it still does. Not a big deal really , I mean it doesn't make the phone unusable or anything. It just bugs me that it is not working the way it is supposed to.

07-11-08 12:28 PM
    My boyfriend's curve does this also. It drives him insane. Nothing seems to fix it.
    07-11-08 12:32 PM
    It makes it even worse if it is something you are watching for. I find myself distracted by the backlight going up and down instead of paying attention to what I am typing.

07-11-08 12:37 PM
    Perhaps the setting is bugged. I discovered the "keep messages: <duration>", where <duration> is set to forever is bugged and acts like I chose 30 days. I personally rather have the auto dim turned on so that when extra brightness isn't needed it dims. Though I also have brightness set to 10% so I don't too often see it dim anyless than that. On rare occation though it will go really bright like to 100% but I don't know what causes it.

As far the the KB backlighting, mine turns on a second or two after the screen comes on if the ambient lighting is low enough.

07-11-08 12:46 PM
    set it back to "yes", do the battery pull. ensure it is still doing it as it's supposed to when set to "yes".

at that point, set it to "no", then do the battery pull again. just to be clear, do not turn off the device before pulling the battery.

it may need to be "kicked around" a bit.

now when you did the device swap, did you use the device switch wizard?
    07-11-08 12:51 PM
    Yes I used the desktop device switch wizard. I am no pro at this is for sure but I will try kicking it around the shop a bit per your advice.

Thanks

07-11-08 01:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD