Anyone know of a device that will allow the curve to be used like an ipod in a car?

A transmitter or something?

Im sure it must be in the forums but I couldnt find through search.

thanks
    06-21-08 05:47 AM
    I was told by the fella i bought mine from at the AT&T store that he got a thing from radio shack that is like a cassette (tape) that goes into his cassette player and plugs into his BB, then you can play the songs over your car stereo. Although i have not actually seen if my self.
    06-21-08 07:20 AM
    yeah, if you have an auxillary port, get an aux cable and plug it into the headphone slot

-You can also get an ipod fm transmitter, because i tried it with my curve
    06-21-08 07:20 AM
    Motorola also has a T505. It's actually a portable bluetooth carkit/speaker but can also stream music. Thus, your music will play via bluetooth from your BlackBerry to the T505 and then via FM signal from the T505 to your car radio.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-08 07:35 AM
    I have the tape thing that lmnichols is talking about. I use it for my satelier radio but I can unplug it and plug it intho my berry.

06-21-08 07:45 AM
    Agree with justball11. Direct input into your aux jack (if you have one) will give you the best sound quality. Be sure to secure your BB for the ride in the event of sudden stops to keep from launching it.
    06-21-08 09:18 AM
    I've actually got a Griffin Tape Deck adapter I'd be willing to part with, I've got two and obviously only need one.

It wasn't used once. $12 will get it shipped to you first class. PM if you want it.

(Sorry if this belongs in the marketplace! I wasn't planning on selling it here but when I saw this thread I figured I'd mention it!)
    06-21-08 09:28 AM
    As previously stated a direct connection is always best but most of us don't have an aux jack on the car stereo. The cassette tape things are okay if you happen to have an older stereo with a tape player. I have neither a tape player or an aux jack so have tried several different fm transmitters. The one that seems to work best (at least with my ipod) is made by Monster. One thing that is important for me is the ability to change fm frequencies quickly while driving. As you are going across country it is not uncommon to find that what was a clear frequency an hour ago now has a station on or nearby. The sound quality of the Monster unit seems good and it is a snap to change frequencies. As an added bonus it also works in my wifes car, our boat, with her Bose table top radio, etc.
    06-21-08 09:34 AM
    Does the monster transmitter plug directlly into your BB?

It looks like the iCar model has a weird plug on it.

Can you share the model name so I can find one?

thanks
    06-21-08 02:17 PM
    Yea believe it or not there is a real simple one, its called a Ford, well Ford SYNC it lets you connect your phone via bluetooth or USB and stream online content. Sucked they didn't include it into the '07 Mustang, glad my lease ends when they release SYNC 2.0 for the 2010 Stang
    ohh, problem is it might set you back about 20k - 30k, but hey Ford I feel has improved a lot as of recent.
    06-21-08 05:53 PM
    Buy a car... Priceless

06-22-08 05:20 PM
    great.

how about something in the $100 range lol
    06-22-08 05:41 PM
    There are several aftermarket stereo receivers in the $150 range that would do this for you. They have at least one of the following: bluetooth capability, aux input, or usb input. Any of these options would allow you to play music from your BB through your car radio. Look at one of the popular online audio/video sites. They are also pretty easy for most anyone to install.
    06-22-08 06:37 PM
    I was told by the fella i bought mine from at the AT&T store that he got a thing from radio shack that is like a cassette (tape) that goes into his cassette player and plugs into his BB, then you can play the songs over your car stereo. Although i have not actually seen if my self.
    I've used the cassette adapter and it's an cheap easy fix. Clarity suffers a bit and there's noise between tracks. Not a bad solution though.

This may be interesting.

Flexii Bluetooth Cassette Adapter for Car Audio Tape Recorder - UK CSR Chipset at Vavolo.com
    06-22-08 07:06 PM
    I wish I had a dang tape deck in my car.

Crap
    06-22-08 07:12 PM
    You can buy a cheap fm transmitter at radioshack for like 15.00 ...
    works just fine
    06-22-08 08:12 PM
    In order of sound quality (best->worst):

1) Auxiliary input - it's rare that a stock car radio have this, but they're becoming more and more frequent in even low end cars. If you don't have an input somewhere in your car that you can see, google your make/model and see what you can find. Many stock headunits have inputs in the back, or, if you're feeling handy, you may luck out and find instructions on how to wire an auxillary input to your stock headunit. I recently did that with headunit in my friend's '05 GTO, and it worked like a charm.

Also, if you wanted to get a few upgrades in one, replace your headunit. An aftermarket one will work with your stock speakers, and you'll be able to pick features that you want - now's the time to get satellite radio, or a CD player if you don't already have one, HD radio, etc. And, of course, an auxiliary input. You can find some lower end models (which still may be better than your stock unit) for under $100 at retail stores like Best Buy or Circuit City. For an online retailer, no one beats Crutchfield: Car Audio, Home Theater, Speakers, LCD TV, Plasma TV

2) Cassette converter - on one end this will plug in to the headphone jack on your berry, and on the other it will have a tape that goes in your car's tape deck (if it has one). Sound quality is OK, but it works, and it's easy.

3) FM transmitter - Depending on where you're located, this may or may not even be an option. I live in NY, where the FM band is full of other stations, so it is impossible to find an empty one to broadcast on. In case you don't know, these things are miniature FM radio stations, you select the station, plug it in to the headphone jack on your berry, and it broadcasts the sound over the selected FM station. The problem is that the FCC doesn't allow these things to broadcast with very much power, so they can't overcome even the weakest station. The result: very poor sound quality in populated areas - if you can even hear the thing!

And FYI: Any aftermarket device that calls itself an iPod ____, but all it has is a standard male 3.5mm headphone end, will most likely work with your blackberry, or any other device that has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack. "iPod" is being used as a marketing tool very often nowadays. Be careful, because some devices ARE actually designed specifically for iPods, but they'll have a special connector that will only plug in to the iPod. For the most part, don't let the Apple-y white color scheme and "i" prefix fool you, alot of iPod accessories work for us iPod-less people!
    Last edited by Jimbro727; 06-23-08 at 03:02 AM.
    06-23-08 02:59 AM
    You might check into a Bluetooth handsfree device paired with something like a Lockpick that ties into your stereo. I'm thinking about doing that and using the OnStar Lockpick.

I'm still trying to gather info on the combo, so I don't have a lot of answers on it. But wanted to throw that option out there...
    06-23-08 12:53 PM
    I have the input on my stereo but when I plug the phone into it there is no music through the stereo. The phone is playing the music. Any ideas?
    06-25-08 10:46 PM
    I just recently purchased a Bluetooth FM transmitter at Verizon wireless where I work it works really well! Its priced at 119.99 but I get my employee discount on it so it was only 50 but either way its worth it I think anyway

06-25-08 10:57 PM
    I agree that FM transmitters are not that great. Used one for awhilke its like listening to a bad radio station. I'd rather just burn a CD. Though I do have my eye on https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=DUPcpr3T. For listening to music.
    06-25-08 10:59 PM
    I have the input on my stereo but when I plug the phone into it there is no music through the stereo. The phone is playing the mus ic. Any ideas?
    What kind of input? Do you hear music when you unplug the phone from the input cable? Have you ever used this input before?

06-25-08 10:59 PM
    It is an auxl input and I have to switch the stereo to auxl. The music is playing on the phone when unplugged. I have not used it before.
    06-26-08 09:59 AM
    You could use a Parrot - I'm planning on getting one in a couple weeks since we can't use our phones in the car (except with BlueTooth) in CA anymore starting on Tuesday.
    06-26-08 10:04 AM
    Does a Curve require a certain cord?
    06-26-08 11:30 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD