I've been checking my device memory the past few days after switching themes and noticed that my device memory changes a lot. In fact after checking it I waited one minute, checked it again and it was like 10% different. Is this normal? I would think device memory would be pretty static.
    12-10-09 08:48 AM
    It depends on how much it's really changing. You're device memory will change throughout the day, sometimes a couple MB up or down, etc, and that's completly normal. You're device memory not only stores your OS and all your apps, but what available memory is there the device will use during normal operation. Say, for instance, you're browsing a website, ESPN for example, you're content cache will build up as you continue to browse, and all that content is stored on the device memory. Also, different apps have different memory requirements, if you're using Google Maps for example, it will use some of the available device memory during it's operation. As you open and close apps, and do other things on the device, that number will go up and down slightly. The OS will recover any memory that was previously being used by the app over a short period of time.

Now, for instance, if you normally have say 25mb of available app memory most of the time, and you drop down to like 15mb over a short period of time, then you may have a memory leak of some kind, which is usually caused by a particular app drawing too much memory for no reason.

if it's only like 10%, I don't think you have much to worry about, seems pretty normal to me!

I believe it's Reed McLay on here that describes this better than I do...
    12-10-09 08:59 AM
    Without starting a new thread, answer me this if you will...

I want to know about downloading apps directly to your memory card. Can this be done? Or will they only overflow onto the card once the internal memory is in full use? My step has a Tour with a 16GB card in it and her dealer (Verizon) says that all apps go directly to it. But with the Curve they go to the internal memory. Is it because I only have a 2GB card in my phone now? Trust me, I do want to purchase a 16'er!
    12-10-09 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD