can you do this? remove all the pre-loaded ringtones that were sent with the device? wouldn't this save a bunch of memory? I've looked in the 101 section under the free up memory tut. couldn't find it though.
    10-13-08 06:00 AM
    In c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\loader files\8310...\java
    look for the file listed below. The amount of memory you save will however
    be negligible and I have no idea if other things on the phone are dependent on it.

In short, proceed at your own risk. Do not delete it. Instead move it in case
    you find you need to put it back

net_rim_bb_media_tunebundles_sonicnetworks.cod
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 10-13-08 at 06:28 AM.
    10-13-08 06:25 AM
    well, if this will not save a worthy amount of space, its not worth risking my BB. thanks a lot for the reply though.

i have followed the free up mem tutorial and i have only 12-13 MB free and my BB gets pretty laggy at times. thats why i was looking to do this.
    10-13-08 06:55 AM
    What OS are you on? I would think (and it has been my experience)
    that after doing the optimization you should be well over 12-13.

Are you saving a lot of texts, MMS, emails, etc? Are you closing
    your apps properly? Do you have a lot of themes installed?
    I am on 4.2, I have close to 20 apps and I am at just over 30mb.

When I ran any version of 4.5 I usually clocked in at about 23-25mb
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 10-13-08 at 07:02 AM.
    10-13-08 06:58 AM
    v4.5.0.55

ive been thinking of downgrading back to 4.2, however, i like youtube. even though it's slow on edge.

i dont save any emails, texts, or call logs. i even clear my event logs (i think is what it's called) alt+LGLG. i only have like 5 apps.
    10-13-08 09:16 AM
    Seems as if you are doing everything right, but I still would think
    your memory should be higher.

But if your OS is stable, leave it.
    10-13-08 09:19 AM
    im going to run through it again.

because i just recalled when i ran the apploader it didnt change anything on my device. the programs (cod files) that i removed, were not removed on my application list.
    10-13-08 09:29 AM
    im going to run through it again.

because i just recalled when i ran the apploader it didnt change anything on my device. the programs (cod files) that i removed, were not removed on my application list.
    Good idea. I will check back to see how you make out.
    We can get you better than 12-13
    10-13-08 09:35 AM
    sweet. appreciate it.
    10-13-08 09:37 AM
    do you think it is a good idea to upgrade to .81?
    10-13-08 09:38 AM
    I upgraded to .81 and went through the freeing up mem tutorial again and now have 27MB open. So thanks ag

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-08 11:01 PM
    I removed the pre-loaded ringtone file about two weeks ago and soon discovered that I no longer had the vibrate ability on my blackberry pearl. I could set it to vibrate, but it wouldn't vibrate. I also could no longer edit the alerts for some of my SMS & MMS settings. Restoring the .cod file restored these settings, but now I'm stuck with all those lame factory ringtones again. I hate useless things taking up space. Is there any way to remove the ringtones without losing my vibrate setting?
    10-16-08 10:39 AM
    so all the ringtones are installed as just one file? Thats a bummer it would be nice if we could choose the ones to keep, if they would show up like they do in the phone explorer
    11-15-08 12:54 AM
    I just updated my OS to v4.5, and for some reason nothing's showing up at all in my Java folder for the Blackberry. I wanted to delete the preloaded ringtones and languages I don't use (which I was able to do when I had the earlier OS), but the strange thing is that it looks like the folder is completely empty now.

Blackberry's still working fine, I just wanted to get rid of some of the junk. Any idea why nothing's showing up? Did the files go elsewhere on my computer?
    12-26-08 03:41 PM
    I had discussed this with Reed awhile ago, some of the preloaded ringtones are apart of the OS and removing these could cause runnability issues, plus the ringtones are not that big in size...
    12-26-08 03:43 PM
    I had discussed this with Reed awhile ago, some of the preloaded ringtones are apart of the OS and removing these could cause runnability issues, plus the ringtones are not that big in size...
    Thanks for confirming the "runabilty" issue. That was why I mentioned it but
    knowing the whole story is always a good thing. Thanks, to you and Reed.
    12-26-08 06:12 PM
    Thanks for confirming the "runabilty" issue. That was why I mentioned it but
    knowing the whole story is always a good thing. Thanks, to you and Reed.
    Anytime man, when i first optimized my memory before CrackMem, Reed helped me out. I asked him cause i wanted to see how far i could go and to see if i could remove the ringtones, leave them be...
    12-26-08 06:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD