Hi!
    I just got a blackberry today (my first one) and updated my data plan to the $30 plan with verizon. It says that I cannot go over 5GB a month and I don't really know what the heck that means. Can I run Pandora? When I downloaded the app it said that it uses a lot of data and I'm concerned about going over...does anyone have any experience with this?
    Thanks!
    01-27-10 05:35 PM
    Hi!
    I just got a blackberry today (my first one) and updated my data plan to the $30 plan with verizon. It says that I cannot go over 5GB a month and I don't really know what the heck that means. Can I run Pandora? When I downloaded the app it said that it uses a lot of data and I'm concerned about going over...does anyone have any experience with this?
    Thanks!
    I also have the Curve 8330 with Verizon and I have never ever come close to going over the 5GB cap. I have Pandora and run it with no problems. If you want to check your data usage you can log onto Verizon's website and it will tell you. But in all honestly you would have to have Pandora on all the time to go over.
    01-27-10 05:42 PM
    You will be fine!

I use Slacker for a few hours a day with lots of browsing too. The most I have ever had is almost 2GB's. You would need to really try to top 5GB per month. If you tether with your phone is when you need to watch it.
    01-27-10 05:43 PM
    Thanks so much guys!! All I really wanna be able to use is Pandora when I'm driving, so perfect thanks again!
    01-27-10 05:56 PM
    I'm not sure you should have a 5GB max. Unless there's something new that I'm missing, Blackberry data plans for the additional $30/month is unlimited.

I think the 5GB is for mobile broadband (for laptop computers).
    01-27-10 07:00 PM
    I just did signed up for my bb a couple weeks ago... 2 differrent ppl on the phone said it was unlimited data usage

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-10 08:43 PM
    by saying "unlimited" they really mean 5gb. Weird right? doesn't really sound like unlimited to me. But like everyone else has said you would really have to try to get to that 5gb. Just kick back and enjoy your wonderful blackberry
    01-27-10 09:41 PM
    I think that there is a misconception with the 5GB limit. There isn't any information that I could find through Verizon that said there is a limit on BlackBerry data. I think there may be something that once a user has reached 5 gigs, it may be flagged for investigation of misuse. (For things like tethering). But that's just me guessing. Maybe that's where the myth started?

Again, I couldn't find anything about it from Verizon, so if you aren't misusing your data, there shouldn't be an issue. (Unless you are really trying to go over 5 gigs anyway, but I'd check directly with Verizon)

01-27-10 09:50 PM
    I have talked to many a VZW reps and nothing ever came up about a "5GB" limit. I'll have to call my buddies in CS and find out!
    01-27-10 11:57 PM
    hey my brother has a vzw and well he doesnt have a blackberry but he has a smartphone none the less and he goes well over 5gb.. he uses alteast 8gb a month and they never charged him overages at all.. so i dont know if theyre trying to scare there customers but he does go over 5gb every month.. lol
    01-28-10 10:35 AM
    What can they do if it is considered unlimited and they flag you at 5gb? They have to prove you are tethering. I have unlimited eith sprint and i'll use as much data as i want lol
    01-28-10 02:53 PM
    If you want to waste your money, you can sign up for a tethering plan with verizon for $30.00 a month, in addition to your blackberry data plan (also $30.00 a month) and your voice account. After connecting your BB to your computer, you have to run a program on your computer called VZW Access Manager. The verizon tethering plan includes 5G of data; You get charged after going over the 5G but I forget what the rate is.

Or you can purchase a program called Tether, formally known as Tetherberry. Its not quite as fast as a connection through VZW access manager but it's pretty darn comparable. It establishes an internet connection through your BB data, which is unlimited with verizon.
    01-30-10 11:10 PM
    in the fine print of you contracts it says that it is unlimited data not to exceed 5gb.
    Usually, if you exceed it you get a warning, but it is to control tethering.
    You would have to have data running almost 24/7 to get to 5gb.....
    01-30-10 11:25 PM
    That 5gb is also monthly. I am on my BB constantly. I have twitter, facebook and gps running in the background abd listen to pandora all day. I have NEVER reached 5gb

01-31-10 03:20 AM
    I use Tether on my laptop to do school work daily and even when I'm on that for a few hours a day I never go above 50mb daily. Even when using Pandora constantly, at the end of a month's usage, I've only used about 500mb, nowhere near close to the 5gb limit Verizon's placed on you.
    01-31-10 03:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD