Hi guys,
    I've been using wifi browser with my BT homehub on my 8320 (Orange uk) since I got my phone&its been ok,though the signal did drop now&again (even though I was sat in exactly same place 10yds from the hub) going from uma to gprs etc.
    When I went out I just turned off data services&so didn't get any emails(pushed from pop yahoo) or net access whilst I was out so I didn't get charged.

Anyways cos I had such bad service from Phones4u&they didn't explain BIS etc their lovely customer services people sent me a cheque for �135 to cover the cost of the Blackberry Bolt On for my 18mth contract-SCORE!

SO..... (finally-geez I do waffle) .....which is better to browse the net on? Or is there a difference at all? Would I have to use a different browser for data plan net rather than wifi? If so can I transfer my bookmarks? And finally....Would the data plan net automatically kick in if I was walking along&went out of wifi coverage?

Thanks guys,
    Bx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-08 08:22 AM
    Confusing wording, but I think I got it on my first read-through...?

You can use the BB Browser on your data plan and WiFi. You can also use Opera Mini... I prefer BB Broswer!! (do you have a data plan or not? I am lost about that!)

And when you get a new device you can use the new device wizard thing to transfer over all the stuff you need!

And data kicks in when you go out of WiFi... but if you have an unlimited data plan and are on the move, just use the data plan!! You will have to continually switch back and forth in your browser settings between WiFi and data plan... and that will be a pain. And you will probably not be within WiFi coverage long. And the speed difference between WiFi and EDGE is irrelevent.

Check out the WiFi forum for more info on these things!
    07-10-08 08:28 AM
    I heard from somewhere that if you didn't have a data plan and used wifi, you still get charged for the data you used because essentially you're still taking data in and out of your phone...I don't know if that's true or not
    07-10-08 09:04 AM
    I heard from somewhere that if you didn't have a data plan and used wifi, you still get charged for the data you used because essentially you're still taking data in and out of your phone...I don't know if that's true or not
    That is not correct. That is the way I use mine, Wifi only without a data/BIS plan. There are no charges for using Wifi data.

07-10-08 09:49 AM
    That is not correct. That is the way I use mine, Wifi only without a data/BIS plan. There are no charges for using Wifi data.

Thanks for confirming that, Ii'd love to have wifi on my phone, but I'm on at&t
    07-10-08 09:51 AM
    Sorry to be blunt on this one...

Not Correct

Completely Correct

It is usually a good idea to validate your information that you "heard somewhere" before you post it and spread false information. This can really cause misunderstanding more than helping
    07-10-08 09:51 AM
    That's why I posted it here and adding the "I don't know if that's true or not" comment so I can verify with people on here. Otherwise I would have said something like, "you're screwed, wait for your $1000 phone bill"
    07-10-08 09:52 AM
    Thanks for responding, I hate doing it with people I have not gotten to know yet, but that happens to be were I live, in WiFi.

Gives me a side channel perspective, but that is about to change. My last good reason for saying NO the the plan vanished at $0.005 Mb.
    07-10-08 12:03 PM
    I'm not sure what your last sentence meant lol
    07-10-08 12:09 PM
    Check out my profile. I use an 8320 without a plan. Nothing but Wifi.

I am excited because my preferred carrier has announced a data plan that is down from the old $10.00 Mb. That is very competitive and I will be taking advantage of it.

Finally, I will get a PLAN.

It is a big deal in Canada.
    07-10-08 12:12 PM
    I'm not sure what your last sentence meant lol
    Me either... lol

Stoner, what do you mean?
    07-10-08 12:12 PM
    I have refused to sign a contract for a Rogers plan for a lot of reasons. I am looking forward to finally having an affordable plan, and a shiny new Bold.

Release date is July 25. I am coming in from the cold.

I hope to sign up for UMA service too, but that is still a question mark.
    07-10-08 12:47 PM
    I have refused to sign a contract for a Rogers plan for a lot of reasons. I am looking forward to finally having an affordable plan, and a shiny new Bold.

Release date is July 25. I am coming in from the cold.

I hope to sign up for UMA service too, but that is still a question mark.
    I thought it was a reference to Rogers, but clarifying...

Good luck with that!! Finally affordable data for you!
    07-10-08 12:49 PM
    Confusing wording, but I think I got it on my first read-through...?

You can use the BB Browser on your data plan and WiFi. You can also use Opera Mini... I prefer BB Broswer!! (do you have a data plan or not? I am lost about that!)

And when you get a new device you can use the new device wizard thing to transfer over all the stuff you need!

And data kicks in when you go out of WiFi... but if you have an unlimited data plan and are on the move, just use the data plan!! You will have to continually switch back and forth in your browser settings between WiFi and data plan... and that will be a pain. And you will probably not be within WiFi coverage long. And the speed difference between WiFi and EDGE is irrelevent.

Check out the WiFi forum for more info on these things!
    Sorry I am confusing all the time.
    Basically I've got a data plan for free&have not got a new phone.

I've now seen that I can't use the "wifi browser" (I've got choice of "wifi browser", "internet browser" or "orange world") doesn't work when using EDGE on the data plan, this means I can't use the bookmarks which I have put on using the "wifi browser".

*question*So I need to know if there is a way of copying over the many bookmarks so they work on BOTH the browsers as I'm currently using wifi when I'm at home. If there isn't I will just use the data plan.

So I've worked out that if I am browsing on wifi and went out of range that EDGE wouldn't pick up without changing all the settings.

I too prefer the bb built in browser(s) as opera is not my cup of tea, though it is good when you need to download something but that is all I use it for.

*question*Has everyone else got these 3 browser options built in? Cos I'm finding them a pain in the ****.

*question*Also is 250Mb a lot? As that is my 'fair usage' limit on my 'unlimited' data-cos I'm on the net a lot, esp when I can't sleep.

Thanls guys-im so glad I've got nice people like you to ask bout everything Blackberry!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 02:00 PM
    If you have an unlimited data plan (or any data plan for that matter) and it is FREE (as you said!)... then, by all means, use the data plan for browsing!

The WiFi is not really faster on your Berry than EDGE will be... and it is a pain in the a$$ to always switch the default browser settings back and forth, keep bookmarks updated in both 'versions' of the browser, etc.

And the browser does not auto-switch when moving from a WiFi network to EDGE (and vise versa!). The only thing that will automatically change, if it is available on your carrier and if you have the setting enabled, is the calling network from EDGE to UMA!

There is no way for the browser to auto-switch Use your data plan if you have one... save hassle! There is really no gain to using the WiFi browser if you have a data plan, unless you are somewhere with no mobile network coverage but WiFi coverage!
    07-11-08 02:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD