I am going to get a Curve when I am due for an upgrade in about 6 weeks. If I let my son use it, could he just put his sim card in it and use the internet and phone or will it be tied to my sim card and phone number?

Thanks for any help.
    04-03-08 08:33 PM
    it's tied to your sim card and phone number
    04-03-08 08:35 PM
    If he puts in his sim card and he does not have a BB data plan, then he will have issues on the internet part.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-08 09:09 PM
    Alright well here we go. If the phone was CDMA which would be verizon, etc. It would be tied to the phone. In this case your talking about GSM which would be Tmobile, etc. But the plan is tied into the SIM card. If he didn't have the plan it wouldn't work but yours would

But he could still use functions such as medianet browser and the phone itself. But be charged for medianet if he doesn't have the plan. (If it was AT&T of course...) Anyone correct me if I mistakened

04-03-08 09:30 PM
    You are partially correct mbudden. but as stated in the previous posts, the data is tied to the phone and sim with bb. The SIM stores all your info (phone number, data, etc.) for ATT. But to get the internet/email on a BB, you must communicate with RIM's servers which uses the PIN number on your BB.
    04-04-08 05:52 AM
    yep, tied to the SIM & PIN/IMEI....

example: I have my unlimited data & voice plan setup for my 8310. If I put the SIM into my 8320; the voice works, however the data does not I would like to be able to 'hot swap' to either without having to contact Cust. Serv.
    04-04-08 07:01 AM
    Is AT&T hot swapable? I have an 8300 and just bought an 8700 to use every now and then to switch things up and want to make sure that i'm not being charged extra for using the 8700 when i'm already paying an arm and a leg for unlimited data and texting.
    04-04-08 08:38 AM
    Well, that's not what I was wanting to hear, but at least I know the answer. Thanks for the info.
    04-04-08 08:58 AM
    I stand corrected... In a similar post someone mentioned changing devices through the RIM website. I was just fooling around with my email setup and noticed a change device option. Once selecting the option, you can enter your new PIN and IMEI.

I'm in the bed and too lazy to go upstairs for the 8320 to try it now, but I assume this is what we were looking for.

Kudos to the person who provided thid info as I can now play with an unrestricted 8320 and give it a fair opportunity to be Device A.

04-04-08 10:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD