I am in the UK and I have 2 Curves - one is an 8310 on T-mobile, which has GPS and the other an 8320 on Orange, which has WiFi.

The 8310 is unlocked, and I tend to use it with an Orange SIM as I use Telenav, and so require the GPS. However, there are also many occasions when I would like to use WiFi too. My question therefore is whether the WiFi and GPS are mutually exclusive - e.g. do they physically occupy the same space in the handset? Or would it be possible to remove, say, the GPS module from the 8310 and install it in the 8320, or vice-versa?

Thanks,

Colin.
    06-30-08 06:09 AM
    I think the best way to do this would be to use a Bluetooth GPS with the 8320.

Freedom Keychain GPS 2000

I don't think it would be possible to remove the GPS module and add it to a Wi-Fi handset and vice-versa. not only would there be hardware issues, but software issues as well. I don't think the 83xx software is set up to run both an internal GPS and Wi-Fi.
    06-30-08 08:27 AM
    I think the best way to do this would be to use a Bluetooth GPS with the 8320.

Freedom Keychain GPS 2000

I don't think it would be possible to remove the GPS module and add it to a Wi-Fi handset and vice-versa. not only would there be hardware issues, but software issues as well. I don't think the 83xx software is set up to run both an internal GPS and Wi-Fi.
    Exactly!! If you want both... then you would need to purchase a BlueTooth GPS unit for the Curve 8320. There is no way to get WiFi on the Curve 8310!!

And there is no way to swap out the hardware and mod the phone... (risky anyhow!!) Or you could spend 40 bucks more than you would for a BlueTooth GPS Unit and get a standalone GPS!! Much better, IMO!
    06-30-08 08:37 AM
    Or, you could get an 8820.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 09:16 AM
    Or, you could get an 8820.

And not have a camera!! LMAO
    06-30-08 09:17 AM
    Its not that bad without a camera. I just use my digital. The wi-fi is amazing though.

06-30-08 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD