I am a new BB user with new service w/ Sprint. I have the Curve, husband has the Pearl. I've been having issues with my Curve ever since it was activated. Screens freezin up, choppy voice reception during a call, etc. Traded it in on another Curve and same thing. A Sprint Tech, checked out my device via phone service and did some changes. I'm still at square one. My husband however has the Pearl and he gets better service and reception, both tested side by side. (I thought the curve was known for stronger reception) I get between 0-3 bars here at home on the Curve,his being the same, they switch all the time, I could be standing in the exact spot, tech tells me I should still be receiving strong signal. My Curve Status at the moment reads -88 and the Pearl is -97, the status #'s are never the same. I get better reception and not as choppy during a call on the Pearl. I guess I'll pick another phone, I figured something with an exterior antenna. I like my Curve and don't want to give it up, but.... I don't know what else to do. My calls are important to me, I've had a cell for 4 years w/ Verizon, never a problem w/ reception. My husband could care less, he travels and the Nav is the most important thing to him. I'm pretty bummed out!
    04-09-09 03:06 PM
    from what I have read the higher the dBm number is actually bad, notice it begins with a negative. This is from Blackberry Tips: Good values range from 50 to 90. Higher values indicate that your BlackBerry is increasing its output because coverage is poor. So in actuallity the scenario you gave the Curve is doing better than the Pearl. I jhave never had the problems you have described and I have had the 8330 Curve since October 2008. Have you ever reset your phone? By removing the battery while the phone is on and leaving it out for about 10 seconds, reinserting it and letting it boot back up usually solves all problems. If you hadnt done this I would suggest it,
    04-09-09 03:19 PM
    Perhaps you shouldn't have left verizon. If you were happy with the service why switch? I never cared for Sprint reception anywhere that i went. Att was okay. I always got the best reception with both alltel and verizon.

Sometimes we make mistakes and learn from them. I am sorry you aren't getting very good service right now.

Have you tried to update your curve to the latest firmware?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/spr...nguage-146679/
    04-09-09 03:29 PM
    I tried Verizon and Alltel - - might be where I am but the reception sux. More dropped calls and static than I have ever had with Sprint. I have traveled from coast to coast and border to border with Sprint and never had a problem. Cant say that for the other carriers, havent tried them all. Thumbs down to Verizon
    04-09-09 03:41 PM
    Does the Sprint Curve have wi-fi? If so, I thought they had a wireless router to boost the signal at the house.

I have TMO and switched from the Pearl to the Curve so I can make calls via my wi-fi router (UMA), and I haven't had any issues with dropped calls yet (knock on wood). My Pearl was dropping close to 50% of my calls and would never get more than 2 bars at my house.

Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 03:58 PM
    I wish I could give you some good insight.. maybe do the update for roaming cap on your phone... see if that helps.

As far as freezing and locking up... well I also have the same phone and really no issues.. how many services do you have running on the phone?
    04-09-09 04:55 PM
    I'm with Verizon Wireless.

I owned the Pearl for 1 year, and then switched to the Curve. (I keep the Pearl as a back-up)

I did not experience any service issues with the Pearl, and none so far with the curve.

Comparing them performance wise, I would have to say they perform much the same. The only reason why I got the Curve, was for the wider screen and the full qwerty keyboard.

Could it be the particular unit? Could it be a problem with your carrier? Could it be related to your location?

Good luck.
    04-09-09 05:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD