Has anyone had any issues with their USB port? I've been noticing over time that my port is getting looser and looser every day... Anyone else have a problem with the port?

And if my USB does go, there are other ways of connecting it to my PC right, bluetooth? wireless internet? :P
    01-28-09 12:10 AM
    i had that problem with a week old curve... i hadn't even DROPPED the phone.. the side just started to split... how long have you had the phone? can you call and get a replacement? this SHOULD be covered under warranty.
    01-28-09 01:18 AM
    I had a problem with that, but I discovered it was the charger I was using. I discarded that and have been using my USB cable and now it works like a charm! check into it being the cable, if not then its your port.
    01-28-09 01:20 AM
    I've had it for about 3 months -- its not causing issues yet, but, I feel it might start to.. I've read a few posts about other people having issues with their port.

I usually charge mine with my laptop at home, my desktop at work, a AAA USB battery pack in the car / when I need a charge on the go, and I use the mobile wall charger when travelling to like the states.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 01:22 AM
    Always worries me about the port. I figure the more you keep plugging in the looser it will become. These things need charging so much I have decided to get a cradle so I can use the back contacts for charging and the usb for other stuff (updates, media etc)

I would take it in if you are under warranty as stated above.
    01-28-09 01:23 AM
    I had a problem with that, but I discovered it was the charger I was using. I discarded that and have been using my USB cable and now it works like a charm! check into it being the cable, if not then its your port.

lucky.. i wish thats what mine had been. i was sooo pissed when my IT Director noticed it was splitting.

it would charge on the wall charger, but not connect to the pc.. and i tried 3 different cable AND delete all my usb drivers.
    Last edited by chelseytx; 01-28-09 at 01:26 AM.
    01-28-09 01:24 AM
    Yeah - I want to make sure I prevent anything like from happening.

I wouldn't mind getting a cradle, how much do they go for? Is it a wall adapter? USB power? I used to have a desktop cradle for my 7250, all it did was prop it up, but I loved it, I'd love something similar for my Curve

01-28-09 01:27 AM
    Check the CrackBerry store for the charging pod. You won't be able to use it as a data connection, but it will allow you to use the USB port a lot less.
    01-28-09 01:29 AM
    I say buy off of Amazon, always so much cheeper and I have never found a reduced quality, you can pick one up on Amazon for about 12$ and I forgot about how much was the shipping. I just purchased me a Silicon Skin for $0.28 and shipping had it come out to be about $7. Big savings knowing here on Crackberry its like 12$ for a Silicon Skin.

Amazon - Blackberry Cradle 83xx

btw. Blue Harbor Online - the lowest price one. I have used them before and I strongly recommend them! Bought a silicon case, a SD card and now another silicon case. Never had one problem! Fast shipping too.
    01-28-09 01:31 AM
    Thats the cradle I like as well. Hope it works out for ya, alot of folks here use that same one
    01-28-09 01:35 AM
    Thanks for the info guys - ill be sure to buy one in the morning!

Quick question though - if I buy a USB Bluetooth dongle (I've been through so many of them in my life) will I be able to use the DM the same way as I could through USB, or can I even use it at all?

What else could a Bluetooth connection to my PC offer?

I figured I'll get the cradle and the Bluetooth dongle at the same time!

01-28-09 01:40 AM
    as far as i know, yes, bluetooth does the same thing ans connecting it to the usb cable, but a lot easier and simpler.
    01-28-09 01:42 AM
    The bluetooth dongles can get very tricky, I bought one on there for about 2 dollars and it comes with a shotty software that you have to buy. Once you buy it it's good, but it's not really worth I think the 30$. I run that software on XP which works flawless, but I have hacked mine to be able to use the Native Bluetooth Stacks found in Vista to be able to do other things but doesn't give me options to do much of anything.

But syncing your Blackberry using the Bluetooth dongles that use the software, aren't compatible with DM. Only Native Windows Bluetooth Stack's are compatible. Very confusing sorry.
    01-28-09 01:46 AM
    I think I understand you, basically, Windows has to drive the dongle, not a client software? The only example I can think of is with Windows Wireless Networks - Windows has its built in native client, but you could also have like D-Link client software that manages the wireless card?

So Windows has to manage the bluetooth device for DM to work? Might be tricky finding a dongle that Windows knows..?

01-28-09 01:54 AM
    Yes, basically it has to be able to use the Windows Bluetooth Stack. Kinda like how yes, you could either use the D-Link or the Windows software.

but it is kind-of explained here. I had to use multiple resources to do what I needed to do. but take a look here.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f42/blu...manager-24100/
    01-28-09 02:27 AM
    I had 2 Curve's fail within 2 weeks of getting them because of the USB port. It ended up being the charger I was using. Now I just use the charger that came with the phone and I haven't had a problem yet (been over 2 months).
    01-28-09 08:08 AM
    You can only use the BT connection in DM for syncing your information, you cannot use it for downloading new apps/ OS updates
    01-28-09 01:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD