My Curve started developing trackball issues a few weeks ago, where it will only go in three directions -- right, left, and down (but not up.) Following directions I've seen here, I popped it out and cleaned it, and that helped until last night.

When it did it again last night and I tried to clean it, I accidentally put it back in upside down, meaning it will scroll right, left and up, but not down. So which way it's in makes a difference. But cleaning it isn't helping now (no matter how I seat it.)

What I'm wondering is whether it's worth buying a new trackball on the internet or not. This is probably a dumb question, but is there any chance the problem isn't the trackball, but the contacts for the trackball (inside the phone?)

I've spoken with T-Mobile (my contract isn't up until May) and they're offering to let me extend my contract (and get a new Bold) or go no-contract and make payments on a new Bold.

I just don't know whether that's necessary or if replacing the trackball would probably do the trick. I don't want to waste the money on the trackball if that doesn't fix the issue, but I don't want a new phone if it's not necessary. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    12-21-09 09:04 AM
    Sounds like the rollers in the trackball assembly are worn, given what you said about what happens when you insert the trackball upside down. I vote invest $4.oo and replace the trackball.
    But then again, the Bold is a nice phone. If they upgrade you to a 9700 (Bold 2), then it's a no brainer.

Your call. Drop a little cash and fix the Curve, or extend your contract.

Jack
    Last edited by zx7rou812; 12-21-09 at 09:57 AM.
    12-21-09 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD