long story short, i jumped out of a boat saturday to help trailer it and my curve was in my pocket. water was only up to my knees, but the bottom half of curve got a 5 second saltwater bath.
    i took out the sim/memory cards and tried to dry it off, but it wont power on, except for the camera flash comes on steady like a flashlight. sim card and memory works on another curve, but no luck so far on the actual phone.
    ive tried rinseing it in fresh water, and drying for a day, but it wont power up.

i called t-mobile and they arent even selling that curve at this time, they say check back tuesday.

any suggestions on how to replace it fairly cheaply?
    07-28-08 12:21 PM
    salt water is corrosive.
    sounds like you are going to have to replace it.
    does insurance cover water damage? did you have insurance?
    07-28-08 12:23 PM
    Sorry to hear that, take the battery out along with the sim card and put it in a tupperware bowl completely covered with dry rice for a couple days. What ever you do, don't try to power it on, you might have already shorted it out, but it's worth a try.
    07-28-08 12:23 PM
    nope, no insurance, but it sounds like water damage due to morons keeping their phones in their pocket on a boat isnt covered anyway.
    07-28-08 12:24 PM
    Water damage is not covered by T-Mobile, and they put those strips in the back under the battery that change color when they are exposed to water, so no fooling them.
    07-28-08 12:25 PM
    Sorry to hear that, take the battery out along with the sim card and put it in a tupperware bowl completely covered with dry rice for a couple days. What ever you do, don't try to power it on, you might have already shorted it out, but it's worth a try.
    sure, now you tell me
    im sure its a goner, i tried to power it up already but its dead.
    any thoughts on replacing it?
    07-28-08 12:27 PM
    nope, no insurance, but it sounds like water damage due to morons keeping their phones in their pocket on a boat isnt covered anyway.
    I was about to reply to this post and tell the poster they shouldn't be calling other people names, then I saw it was you.

Just so you know, I had your back on this one.
    07-28-08 12:28 PM
    sure, now you tell me
    im sure its a goner, i tried to power it up already but its dead.
    any thoughts on replacing it?
    Give it a few days to fully dry out, I have seen them come back to life....you also might want to hit it with the blow dryer on low before you put it in the rice.
    07-28-08 12:31 PM
    Water damage is not covered by T-Mobile, and they put those strips in the back under the battery that change color when they are exposed to water, so no fooling them.
    There's a slight chance that this sticker is still white, if it's red then you are screwed.

I actually dropped my phone in the toilet last week and afterwards dried it and put it in the rice and it would turn on but my LED and keyboard were ******** out. The sticker was not red so Sprint replaced it.

and thats a no on the blow dryer, the heat is not good for the components.
    07-28-08 12:32 PM
    ok, i will give it a shot. so far i have rinsed with water, and blew out with an air compressor a few times, ill try the rice method.

and the stickers are bright red, but i dont have a warrantee anyway.
    07-28-08 12:33 PM
    Since when? I was told by the person when I signed up that the insurance in fact does cover water damage. You just have to pay a $130(or is it $110?) deductible.
    07-28-08 12:37 PM
    Sorry for your loss...

You did everything you could to fix it at least! Attempt an insurance claim saying it got water damaged.

There are other, moe unethical and morally wrong ways to get around this as well... but I refuse to go there. Maybe if I was in that situation I would... it is your choice.
    07-28-08 12:40 PM
    well, you never know.
    If you live in Texas, you could leave it in your vehicle for a day and have it completely dried out. I'ts supposed to hit 102 degrees today.
    07-28-08 12:40 PM
    Since when? I was told by the person when I signed up that the insurance in fact does cover water damage. You just have to pay a $130(or is it $110?) deductible.
    Thats news to me, my wife works for T-Mobile, and our daughter dropped her Sidekick in the toilet, and even as an employee, they told her she is S.O.L. Maybe I was not getting the whole story from those two like usual.....lol.
    Last edited by cmckeegan; 07-28-08 at 12:43 PM.
    07-28-08 12:41 PM
    Dang Sorry To Hear That About Your Phone. I Think I Care More About My Bb Than My Faily, Hahahahahjust Kidding I Do Care More About It Than Them.
    07-28-08 12:42 PM
    Yes, if you have insurance from your carrier on the phone it will, in fact, cover water damage. A lot of people don't understand the difference between a warranty and insurance.

A warranty is what you get for free from the manufacturer or reseller that covers manufacturer defects for a period of time.

Insurance is what you pay monthly for so that if sh*t happens you're covered and can have the device replaced at a reduced cost (deductible).

With at&t the only way to get insurance coverage is within 30 days of buying a new phone from them.
    Last edited by Super Loopy; 07-28-08 at 12:48 PM.
    07-28-08 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD