I know this has been covered a million times but is there any blackberry that doesnt keep deleting your call logs and stuff on its own?

I have a a t & t 8300 curve with the latest software possible.
    04-14-08 01:13 PM
    Mine.

I have never encountered the low memory cleaning routine.

The core system is rock solid. All the apps and Browser are stable. The content cache is maintained at 2 MB, that is quite enough speed Browser along.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-01-09 at 10:41 AM. Reason: content
    04-14-08 01:26 PM
    You won't run into this problem if you manage your memory properly.
    04-14-08 01:29 PM
    Manage my memory? I check my memory twice a day, very rarely let it get below 1k, an d reset when needed. I couldn't do much more.
    04-14-08 01:36 PM
    Manage my memory? I check my memory twice a day, very rarely let it get below 1k, an d reset when needed. I couldn't do much more.
    I don't think you fully understand how to manage your memory or what file sizes mean. When you go to Options > Status and look at how much is listed for File Free, it lists the amount in bytes. The very most basic smallest measurement of computer data that there is. From bytes you move up to kilobytes, then megabytes, and so forth. Your phone has roughly about 64mb of internal memory. Most of this is used by the OS for the phone.

So when you go to look at your File Free, you see a number like this ; 17284814 bytes. Let's translate this into something a little more understandable. 17,284,814 bytes. Now that we have comas in the right place it becomes easier to read. Now to break it down. There is 814 bytes, 284 kilobytes, and 17 megabytes. Just under 18mb of free memory.

If the internal memory gets lower than 10mb, it will start deleting unsaved messages in attempt to create enough free space for operation of the phone. If there is not enough for proper operation of the phone you will experience the phone being sluggish, and displaying a hourglass anytime you try to do a function.
    04-14-08 01:45 PM
    Good explanation...

Is there a way to see what all applications are running at a given point ?
    04-14-08 03:53 PM
    to see what apps u have running hold the alt key and press the escape key to see what apps are running.... and also if u want to free up some memory on ur phone like get rid of the preloaded ringers and screen savers and the ptt. follow this link ... http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html ....
    04-14-08 04:24 PM
    You can always upgrade, but maybe you can use some of the software for the blackberry 8330 curve softwares, also try using anywhere from 4.1-4.5 updates, I'm not sure but you may be able to interchange?
    09-01-09 05:46 AM
    Here's a handy app if you're having to cleanup your BB frequently.
    It cleans out all the junk, freeing up useful space on your BB for you.
    There's a link on that page to download a free trial, I recommend you give it a shot.
    Note your memory usage both before & after you run it.

Just to clarify: I am in no way affiliated with the people who made this app, I'm just darn impressed with the job it does!
    Last edited by monkeee2002; 09-01-09 at 06:18 AM. Reason: clarify
    09-01-09 06:16 AM
    to see what apps u have running hold the alt key and press the escape key to see what apps are running.... and also if u want to free up some memory on ur phone like get rid of the preloaded ringers and screen savers and the ptt. follow this link ... Losing Call Logs, SMS or Emails? Optimize your BB! How To Setup for max free memory! - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community ....
    How do I shut down the apps I dont want?

and ..

I am buying some 3rd party software to increase my curve memory...

what do you folks reccomend?

sorry to hijack, I can start my own thread if this is too rude....

I am thinking

quickpull
    a system meter application
    maybe "memory up" as mentioned above ( to auto increasse memory)

any other suggestions>?

thanks
    09-01-09 07:15 AM
    There are five apps that run all the time. The rest of them ywhen you have them open hit menu and scroll to close or exit to properly close the app. The apps you suggested are probably good most will have a free trial if they are not free. Also make sure you do have the newest os since they seem to use less memory than older os's.

You have an 8700? how much free memory do you have?
    09-01-09 10:37 AM
    How do I shut down the apps I dont want?

and ..

I am buying some 3rd party software to increase my curve memory...

what do you folks reccomend?

sorry to hijack, I can start my own thread if this is too rude....

I am thinking

quickpull
    a system meter application
    maybe "memory up" as mentioned above ( to auto increasse memory)

any other suggestions>?

thanks
    Many users have concluded that Memory Up does nothing to increase your free memory. It works by calling Java's garbage collection on demand.

Java does this automatically as a background task.

It is worth your while to remove the memory consuming samples by upgrading to the v4.5xx device software and Optimizing your memory use.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    09-01-09 10:48 AM
    I was actually just going to ask a memory question. I routinely clean my cache's, log's and run clean memory. Though I noticed that even though I routinely do this my file free will drop to 11mb free and wont budge until I do a battery pull. Then it jumps up to 26mb free. Is there an explanation?

Thanks In Advance?
    09-01-09 11:06 AM
    I have an 8320 curve on tmobile....I have to change that thing that says 8700 how do I do that?

thanks for the info on the mem up ....

I am going to get quickpull and a "meters" program...

I will look into the cleanign the memroy thing.....

thanks

al
    09-01-09 12:32 PM
    I was actually just going to ask a memory question. I routinely clean my cache's, log's and run clean memory. Though I noticed that even though I routinely do this my file free will drop to 11mb free and wont budge until I do a battery pull. Then it jumps up to 26mb free. Is there an explanation?

Thanks In Advance?
    That is normal. BlackBerry will use your free memory to optimize it's performance and stay very stable at that level.

The fact is, when you purge your caches, it actually slows your BlackBerry down until it has downloaded and rebuilt content in it's cache. The memory management in Java is fully automatic.

The only time it becomes an issue, is when the file free memory pass below the Device Reserved Memory limit. In the earlier OS verisons, that was 12 Mb, the new versions allow you to select 5 Mb.
    09-01-09 01:07 PM
    Many users have concluded that Memory Up does nothing to increase your free memory. It works by calling Java's garbage collection on demand.

Java does this automatically as a background task.

Ok. After reading that, you made me curious about the app I have been using.
    So, I did a little test.
    (A) memory free prior to doing anything:

(B) Memory free after ALT+Shift+DEL:
    45,213,048 (Phone recovered about 2.5mb just by resetting)

(C) Memory free after running Memory Up Pro:
    47,592,248 (Again, nearly 2.5MG recovered)

So if Java cleans itself automatically, or even only when the device is reset, what did memory up pro get rid of? I ran nothing between each test. I simply pressed ALT+Shift+H, read memory, and went to next test.

MemoryUpPro cleans your memory with one click. Their "free trial" seems to never expire. It also logs each time it runs, exactly how much memory it recovered, so you can monitor it's productivity.
    Now, that being said, I ran it again, after typing this post (on my PC, my BB was just sitting on the table, lookin' pretty). Recovered: 0bytes (not surprising)

I then played a level on brick breaker, then ran the test again. Recovered 1,640,576 (about 1.5 mb). Brickbreaker being Java, it should have cleaned itself automatically, right?

I don't mean to sound argumentative, just trying to understand this app, and whether or not it really is good enough to keep.
    09-01-09 01:38 PM
    After reading this should I go into Media/Options and change my device memory limit from 12MB to 5MB?

That is normal. BlackBerry will use your free memory to optimize it's performance and stay very stable at that level.

The fact is, when you purge your caches, it actually slows your BlackBerry down until it has downloaded and rebuilt content in it's cache. The memory management in Java is fully automatic.

The only time it becomes an issue, is when the file free memory pass below the Device Reserved Memory limit. In the earlier OS verisons, that was 12 Mb, the new versions allow you to select 5 Mb.
    09-01-09 02:20 PM
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/reference/w...whitepaper.pdf

Memory Management in the Java HotSpot™ Virtual Machine

1 Introduction
    One strength of the Java™ 2 Platform, Standard Edition (J2SE™) is that it performs automatic memory management, thereby shielding the developer from the complexity of explicit memory management.

This paper provides a broad overview of memory management in the Java HotSpot virtual machine (JVM) in Sun’s J2SE 5.0 release. It describes the garbage collectors available to perform the memory management, and gives some advice regarding choosing and configuring a collector and setting sizes for the memory areas on which the collector operates. It also serves as a resource, listing some of the most commonly-used options that affect garbage collector behavior and providing numerous links to more detailed documentation. ...

2 Explicit vs. Automatic Memory Management
    Memory management is the process of recognizing when allocated objects are no longer needed, deallocating
    (freeing) the memory used by such objects, and making it available for subsequent allocations. In some
    programming languages, memory management is the programmer’s responsibility. The complexity of that task
    leads to many common errors that can cause unexpected or erroneous program behavior and crashes. As a
    result, a large proportion of developer time is often spent debugging and trying to correct such errors.
    One problem that often occurs in programs with explicit memory management is dangling references. It is
    possible to deallocate the space used by an object to which some other object still has a reference. If the object
    with that (dangling) reference tries to access the original object, but the space has been reallocated to a new
    object, the result is unpredictable and not what was intended.
    Another common problem with explicit memory management is space leaks. These leaks occur when memory is allocated and no longer referenced but is not released. For example, if you intend to free the space utilized by a
    linked list but you make the mistake of just deallocating the first element of the list, the remaining list elements are no longer referenced but they go out of the program’s reach and can neither be used nor recovered. If enough leaks occur, they can keep consuming memory until all available memory is exhausted.
    An alternate approach to memory management that is now commonly utilized, especially by most modern object-oriented languages, is automatic management by a program called a garbage collector. Automatic memory management enables increased abstraction of interfaces and more reliable code. ...
    Streight from the horses mouth.
    09-01-09 03:30 PM
    ^ Doesn't tell me if I should drop it down to 5MB or leave it.
    09-01-09 03:40 PM
    Be sure to EXIT programs when you're done using them. Usng the back arrow key to get back to the home screen doesn't necessarily close the app.
    09-01-09 03:53 PM
    ^ Doesn't tell me if I should drop it down to 5MB or leave it.
    You are right. Drop it to 5 Mb Device reserved memory. You can make good use of that memory. I have yet to run into a member with a Media related issue after following that advise.
    09-01-09 03:55 PM
    Thanks! (10 char)

You are right. Drop it to 5 Mb Device reserved memory. You can make good use of that memory. I have yet to run into a member with a Media related issue after following that advise.
    09-01-09 04:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD