Mine dims on its own every now and then even though options are set not to do so. Also, never heard of that auto dimming based on the amount of light it senses. Would like to know more about that if it's true.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

09-12-08 10:52 PM
    The dimming feature that you can control has to do with dimming under different lighting conditions (like in a dark room). It does not control the automatic dimming that occurs when you haven't done any actions in x seconds.
    09-13-08 07:48 AM
    Bump....... please, did anybody find an answer to solution?? Aso, i hope this isnt a problem on the Bold because that would just be wrong.
    10-17-08 05:55 PM
    I too have been having this problem. I think it's a bug with the new o.s.. I've tried to ignore it. But I really would like to this this fixed. screen is so much beter when it's bright!
    10-17-08 08:29 PM
    The dimming feature that you can control has to do with dimming under different lighting conditions (like in a dark room). It does not control the automatic dimming that occurs when you haven't done any actions in x seconds.
    you haven't read all the posts, we are stating that turning on and off the auto dimming feature does nothing. For instance, turn auto dimming off, save options, then 2 seconds later, cover up the light sensor, and it will dim down, then move hand off, it will brighten up. Then after set time with no activity, it does dim down, and eventually fade out. I want a program to disable the ambient light sensor, so that the screen is bright no matter how dim/bright it is in a room. Then after "x" time of inactivity, for it to dim down

02-05-09 04:10 PM
    Even when I have the "automatically dim backlight option set to off, the backlight dims automatically. Anyone else having this problem?
    Mine too, auto dimmer is set to off. Does it about 7 seconds before the 20 second set on the backlight goes out. Don't know if it has anything to do with that or not.
    02-05-09 05:22 PM
    This is strange. I've read every post here and have changed my settings to see if I can duplicate on my device. For the record, I use the auto dim and keep backlight brightness at 30% with a 30 second timeout as my normal settings.

I'm using AT&T 8310 v4.5.0.110 (152) and I've done the following to try to duplicate the problem:

Changed auto dim to OFF
    Backlight timeout to 2 mins.
    Backlight Brightness to 100

It stays very bright no matter if I cover the sensor, go outside or back in a dark room. It seems like the majority of you are having this issue, and for some reason mine isn't (thankfully). I'm just wondering if it's maybe a software version issue? Or possibly a carrier software issue?

Wish I had the answer. Best of luck out there and I agree, living with it shouldn't be the answer. These are computers and work on logic so there has to be a logical explanation/answer out there.

02-05-09 06:34 PM
    Guys, let me try and restate what AG said: Auto Dim is NOT the feature that dims the backlight a little depending on ambient light, it's the auto-backlight timeout that shuts the backlight off after a set period of time to save battery life (like you'll find on most phones). The former (the ambient light thing) can't be controlled, but the latter (the backlight timeout thing) CAN and when you turn "auto dim" on or off, you're controlling the backlight timeout, NOT the ambient light thing.
    02-05-09 09:58 PM
    I have the same issue. Its said to 100 with auto dim off, but it dims down to likw 70, than back to 100, it always jumps around..
    02-16-09 09:12 AM
    I have the same problem with auto dim, esp with office lighting, but not with every theme. Currently experimenting with...
    02-16-09 09:57 AM
    I was having the problem, and I installed bblight, and it overrode the ambient light sensor, worked great for me.

02-16-09 12:56 PM
    alright so i dont know if this was answered yet, but when the phone is in the sun the screen gets brighter no matter what so you can see it better, and in the dark it goes darker to save battery and its really hard to notice anyway, hey! its a smart phone!!
    02-16-09 06:46 PM
    I was having the problem, and I installed bblight, and it overrode the ambient light sensor, worked great for me.

I just downloaded bblight on my BB Curve 8330m, what settings do u have that overrode the ambient light sensor? Thanks for the help.
    08-20-09 10:25 PM
    Blackberry light does not work on the 8330, I have tried until I was blue. I hate my 8330 with this dim light issue. I have to put my finger over the sensor to get my keyboard to light up in low lighting. I wish there was program to solve this lighting issue as i said earlier.

Androdamas
    10-17-09 02:33 PM
    You guys can believe me on this if you want, many agree that no matter what you set the Dim/Brighten to, it will Dim/Brighten whenever it wants too...
    10-17-09 02:35 PM
    My experience is that auto dim is as AG explained it. The bb can sense ambient light and adjust the backlight accordingly. Turning it off only changes the ambient light sensing, it does not affect the idle backlight timeout.

That said, with auto dim off my backlight doesn't act funky. It just turns the screen off if I'm idle. I've learned that if I'm reading a wall of text to just play with the trackball occasionally to keep it from going idle

I read until i saw this post, bc thats exactly what i was thinking/going to say..if this post and AG's post doesn't clear this issue up for you..you've got bigger fish to fry than learning how control the backlight on a bb.
    10-17-09 02:49 PM
    also, i have auto-dim turned off and never experienced this problem...my screen shuts down when idle (have it set at 30secs), and then powers all the way back up while i'm using it..never any 'spastic dimming'.

programs like quicklaunch have a 'stay-lit' function: which will have the bb stay lit until you do a specific function, like push a convenience key...there are others that will enable you to set the bb so that when you use particular programs, the backlight will stay lit when you do so..that might help some.
    10-17-09 02:54 PM
    I just updated to the 5.0 update and am having the dimming problem. I didn't seem to have a problem before this update, I wonder what changed.
    Last edited by EdsXwing; 10-26-09 at 05:16 PM.
    10-26-09 05:13 PM
    I have read all the posts and understand the differences in the backlighting settings vs the ambient lighting feature. With this understood, I can be sitting in the same spot typing a text message with my hands in the same position (not moving to accidentally cover up the sensor where it may effect the ambient light feature) and the screen will either dim or brighten and then go back to what it was at as I'm typing. (This meaning that I didn't stop to rest and it sensed that I was idle) Also I am having the issue that my keyboard light will go off as I am doing the same thing. Or it just won't come on when I start to type something.

It seems to have a mind of its own when lighting up the keyboard and screen for mine and I just would like to know where the problem lies and if I can fix it. While the dimming and brightening of the screen, for me, is only an annoyance, I do ten to text in low light situations and the keyboard light not coming on or going off while typing IS an issue.

Thanks to all
    11-01-09 01:51 AM
    OS 5.0 fixed this problem for me. Now when I set the auto dimmer to off, it stays off.
    11-01-09 02:54 AM
    I also have the same problem i will be texting or using an app and then it dims. seems to be a bug. ^^^^^ and yes a $480 phone should WORK
    11-01-09 04:06 PM
    it is the most annoying thing.. mine goes dim and bright all the time,, i hate it
    02-19-10 04:42 PM
    ok... stupid question.... Where might the ambient light sensor be located on my curve 8330??
    02-21-10 10:51 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD