Hello, first time poster.

I am the BES Admin for our organization (among my other duties). We have 37 active 'Berries on the BES including 6 of the Curve models.

I have a problem with the Curves. Whenever one becomes completely discharged, it is not possible to get it going again even by plugging it into the wall charger or into the USB. I have to pull the battery and put it into an 8700 to get at least a little bit of charge in it, and only then can I put it back in the Curve and charge it up all the way.

I have seen this issue with multiple Curves. So long as a battery charge is maintained, it's fine, but once it's deader that a doornail, administrator intervention (me) is required.

Is there a firmware update that addresses this?
    12-18-07 09:28 AM
    Weird, Honestly I've NEVER fully let mine discharge to know whether or not it's even an issue.
    12-18-07 09:46 AM
    Hello, first time poster.

I am the BES Admin for our organization (among my other duties). We have 37 active 'Berries on the BES including 6 of the Curve models.

I have a problem with the Curves. Whenever one becomes completely discharged, it is not possible to get it going again even by plugging it into the wall charger or into the USB. I have to pull the battery and put it into an 8700 to get at least a little bit of charge in it, and only then can I put it back in the Curve and charge it up all the way.

I have seen this issue with multiple Curves. So long as a battery charge is maintained, it's fine, but once it's deader that a doornail, administrator intervention (me) is required.

Is there a firmware update that addresses this?

That does seem odd. How about purchasing a separate charger and some extra batteries? I used to do this, with all of my phones. Have one battery charging, all the time. Never had to leave the phone off due to having batteries always charged.

With the Curve, I'm just plugging it into the USB every time I'm home and use the wall charger at work so haven't had to drain the battery all the way...yet.
    12-18-07 05:16 PM
    I tried letting the battery in my curve *8300* down to 0% and it still never shut completely off! I can charge it without any problems even from 0% battery!

Charlie

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-07 01:02 AM
    Weird, but I remember the first set of Curve's having a similar 'battery loss' issue. I say install the LATEST OS on the said device...
    12-19-07 01:13 AM
    That is a strange one however what I would say is with them being Li-ion batteries it's not a particularly good idea to let them completely discharge too much anyway. This can have an adverse effect on the cells ability to store a charge and hence it's shelf life. . .perhaps you should be informing the staff to avoid completely discharging the battery if at all possible?
    12-19-07 02:18 AM
    I would say that you have been struck by the bent pin in the mini USB chargin port on the phone!
    This is a common occurence. ATT will not service this problem if the phone is in service more than 30 days. They will sell you a new one for $400. RIM will repair the mini USB charging port for $200 or replace the phone for $240. There are several sites that will replace the port for around $100. This is a DESIGN FLAW with the Blackberry 8310 mini USB charging port.
    12-30-07 08:00 PM
    I feared that is was design issue. I read on another forum that several users had the same issue. Mine was just out of 30 days but the local store gave me a new phone anyway. Still a pain to restore everything back to the way I had invested time in setting up.

I am hoping that something may have changed in the original production and the one I got as a replacement. However, if it is that bad they must face it and provide some kind of better solution.
    12-31-07 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD