Hi All,

First time poster here, but I've recently moved to the UK for what will be a 12 month period while my wife gets her MBA. I'm new to the BB world, but feel that it would be my best option while here overseas so that I can get all of my work related emails on the fly. My question to you all is this:

I spoke to a salesperson at Vodafone and can get a 12 month SIM from them provided that I buy the phone up front. Rather than pay 250 pounds ($400 US) for a new blackberry, I was looking at Overstock.com and found a refurbished Curve 8330 for just about $100 US. Getting it unlocked isn't a big concern based on everything I've read, but the fine print on the site is what makes me hesitant. It reads "Compatible with US Cellular carrier only. AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon will not work with this phone. " Does this mean that even when unlocked I wouldn't be able to use this phone in the UK with a vodafone SIM or should I be ok going this route?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I promise you I'm a quick learner and if I can get on board I should be contributing more usefully in no time. Thanks in advance.

-Greg
    09-26-10 01:48 PM
    The 8330 cannot be unlocked and cannot be used on any GSM carrier's network. It does not use a SIM card.
    09-26-10 01:49 PM
    Hmm... well that's certainly not the answer I was hoping for but thanks for the information anyhow. Any suggestions on which BB might be the best one for the job instead of the 8330? Basically I'm just looking for a 12 month spin. Once I'm back in the states I shouldn't need the BB since I'll be back at the desk instead of the field. Otherwise I'd be happy to spend full price for a new one, but since it'll just be a year I'd rather not spend a few hundred dollars for what is basically a loaner.
    09-27-10 04:02 AM
    8520, 8320, 8900--basically any GSM model would work.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-27-10 02:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD