Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Curve 8320 in the UK??

Hey there

first post, so be nice!

I'm very keen to get my first Blackberry and I've got my eyes on the Curve 8320

However... it only appears to be available on TMobile USA at the moment

Has anyone got any idea when it might be out in Europe? I've seen Orange are potentially going to release it, but..

a) there's very little info.... I called them and they were clueless

b) I'm concerned that Orange will butcher the phone with their own branding / software... does this happen to Blackberrys as it does to Nokias, SEs etc..?

Any help appreciated

cheers
    CrackBerry Abuser

I don't know when it will be released in Europe. But you may be able to buy a unlocked 8320 from US and use it on Orange. As long as Orange is on the same GSM network. Just make sure the phone doesn't have it's IMEI tied to TM. Only feature you can use is the UMA feature, unless Orange supports it. I've used two European unlocked cell phones here without a problem and don't see why not US unlocked cell phone won't work in Europe as long as the network is the same.

Most of all BB here is branded and each BB has a some carrier applications. I'm on ATT here in US and my BB has ATT applications (or ATT store applications) I really don't care for. I'm pretty sure that each carrier in US has their own branding stuff on their phones.
    Last edited by onepoonis; 11-13-2007 at 07:55 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PM Me

I am based in India and would like to buy an unlocked 8320 from US to use in India with Vodafone...Can you tell me how do I go about buying it??...Is there any way I could buy it online??
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Cheers for your advice onepoonis.... i'll look into this
    CrackBerry Abuser

I meant to say you can't use UMA feature unless Orange supports it. Sorry for confusion.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I'm actually a little unclear what UMA actually is. Does it tie you to a particular wireless network that the GSM operator supports?
    Is there a decent definition out there?
    cheers
    CrackBerry Abuser

UMA is a feature on T-Mobile (in US) allowing you to make calls using the wi-fi connection. Thus conserving your minutes. But, your service provider must support this feature for you to use it on 8320. And you have to in an area with wi-fi hotspot.

In US, you can use this with 8320 but only on TM. it won't work on ATT even if you have unlocked 8320 on ATT network since ATT doesn't support it.

Hope this explains somewhat what UMA is. Cheers and I'll be supporting England for this weekend's Euro 08 qualifier. They been my national team since early 80's. Russia will lose all their game and England will make it to the next round. I hope.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by onepoonis View Post
    UMA is a feature on T-Mobile (in US) allowing you to make calls using the wi-fi connection. Thus conserving your minutes. But, your service provider must support this feature for you to use it on 8320. And you have to in an area with wi-fi hotspot.

In US, you can use this with 8320 but only on TM. it won't work on ATT even if you have unlocked 8320 on ATT network since ATT doesn't support it.

Hope this explains somewhat what UMA is. Cheers and I'll be supporting England for this weekend's Euro 08 qualifier. They been my national team since early 80's. Russia will lose all their game and England will make it to the next round. I hope.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks for the great advice

And cheers for the support... the English team isnt the best at the moment so we need all the backing we can get!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    2571757c

It will be here soon enough i am sure but if Orange do get it the it will be a shame as they butcher everything in site. UMA wont be supported officially until its release but the Wifi will be useable still.

I guess its a case of who you know not what you know.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by tmag2005 View Post
    It will be here soon enough i am sure but if Orange do get it the it will be a shame as they butcher everything in site. UMA wont be supported officially until its release but the Wifi will be useable still.

I guess its a case of who you know not what you know.
    that was my other concern about Orange.... they butcher everyting

if you reckon they'll butcher the software, then I'll give it a miss!