I've had my Curve for a year and a half or so and have started having big issues in the last week or so. All of sudden my battery life has gone from ~two days to barely one day and accessing application or any other function has slowed considerably to where it could take two minutes to open an email message. It even takes so long to respond when a call comes in that it often doesn't ring until after voicemail has laready picked it up (I tested this myself and when calling I got ~four rings and voicemain before the blackberry started ringing).

Is this a dying battery or something more significant? I still have a few more months before I can get subsidized upgrades so I would rather find a quick, cheap fix for now.

Any ideas?
    03-29-09 02:03 PM
    Sounds like an App may be causing you trouble. Don't forget to check new themes.
    Check on running Apps by holding the Alt Key and pressing the escape Key and holding it. It will show what is running and there should be 5 by default.
    Browser, Call Log, BBM, Home and Messages. Anything else that you don't want running may be the culprit.
    The Facebook App and some themes have been known to cause problems as well.

After a year and a half it could be the battery as well. Quick solution is to trade with another friend with a BB and see if their battery acts the same in yours, or your battery in theirs.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by ronb; 03-29-09 at 02:10 PM.
    03-29-09 02:08 PM
    Battery issues might just be as simple as needing a replacement. 1.5 years on the original battery? - probably all it is.

You can also check your file free memory to make sure the overall slowness you are seeing is not memory related. options>Status and post your file free memory. You want 12mb or higher, the higher the better. Apps like facebook and viigo can also cause this issue for some.
    03-29-09 02:09 PM
    Thanks, I checked the free file size and it says it is 0. I deleted some emails, cleared my browser cache and it still says 0.

Is that even possible?
    03-29-09 02:48 PM
    Thanks, I checked the free file size and it says it is 0. I deleted some emails, cleared my browser cache and it still says 0.

Is that even possible?
    Aye!

Try some of these suggestion and when you are done - leave the phone on and pull the battery - replace in 30 seconds and then check your file free again.

Also be aware that if you get the file free back up to a decent level (above 12mb or much higher hopefully) and you are still experiencing your other issues you mentioned with poor battery life it might be time to snag a replacement battery from amazon.com (about 3 bucks) or elsewhere. 1.5 years on the same battery so in time you will need one

Lets get the file free issue knocked out first and you can go from there....

1. Delete all texts or unneeded texts and emails. People who save hundreds of texts will eventually have memory related issues.

2. Make sure you close all apps properly (menu>close) as well as move all media (ringtones, pictures, video etc) to a media card - if you dont have a media card its a good idea to get one to keep the pictures, ringtones off the device memory.

3. Clear your browser cache (browser>options>cache operations) as well as the event log........On your keypad hold down the alt key and type lglg and clear the event log (ignore the warning).

4. If you have too many themes or applications maybe cut down on a few you dont use. Facebook would be the first place I would go for an app that needed to be deleted.

Also check what applications are running hold alt & hit esc (button right of the trackball) it will show you 5 of them. (phone, messages, bbm, home screen, browser) anything else in there is running and you should look into..

After you complete many of these if not all - pull the battery with the phone on, wait 30 seconds, replace, when you boot back up check your new file free memory size.

This thread below will help you if you want to do even more memory optimization.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    Last edited by Tremortality; 03-29-09 at 03:33 PM.
    03-29-09 03:29 PM
    Thanks. It tursn out that even though I had it set to keep emails for only 15 days at some point in the last few weeks it downloaded years worth of emails (I still have fourdays from january 2008 that it won't let me delete). Don't know what casued it (myc ompany did recently migrate emails to new folders which I guess could have done it) but clearing up the memory fixed the problems.
    03-30-09 10:53 PM
    Thanks. It tursn out that even though I had it set to keep emails for only 15 days at some point in the last few weeks it downloaded years worth of emails (I still have fourdays from january 2008 that it won't let me delete). Don't know what casued it (myc ompany did recently migrate emails to new folders which I guess could have done it) but clearing up the memory fixed the problems.
    Awesome - glad you got it sorted. Now you know all the steps for future issues too
    03-30-09 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD