Hi folks,

I received my 8310 2 days ago. I really haven't played with it yet. Anyways, I went to google to install google maps and it successfully installed it. I went to directions and it displayed the directions. However, it won't follow when I move. The GPS isn't functioning. Can someone please let me know what configuration I am missing?

Also, when I turn on the phone, it shows a Setup Wizard. Should I do it? Right now, I just hit remind me later. Just want to know if you guys have other thoughts about it.

Thanks.

Neil
    10-25-07 11:55 AM
    I don't believe the curve has GPS does it? I have the google maps on mine, and I just do the step by step directions, when I get to one place I hit the key to tell me where to go next. Even without GPS still an awesome feature.
    10-25-07 12:04 PM
    He said that he has the 8310 which does have GPS. Don't know how to fix his problem though. I agree about the curve (I also have the 8300 - no GPS), still an awesome phone.
    10-25-07 12:16 PM
    yes do the setup wizard so every time you restart the phone you wont have it keep popping up at you.
    10-25-07 12:29 PM
    Hi folks,

I received my 8310 2 days ago. I really haven't played with it yet. Anyways, I went to google to install google maps and it successfully installed it. I went to directions and it displayed the directions. However, it won't follow when I move. The GPS isn't functioning. Can someone please let me know what configuration I am missing?

Also, when I turn on the phone, it shows a Setup Wizard. Should I do it? Right now, I just hit remind me later. Just want to know if you guys have other thoughts about it.

Thanks.

Neil
    Go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS and see if the GPS is turned on. If not, then do so.

Do this while you are outside so the GPS can get a lock on to the satellites. The X and Y indicators should show some numbers after them if you are successful. During a new GPS startup, the GPS chip has to obtain what is called an "Almanac," which is, essentially, an electronic 'map' of where the satellites are in relation to each other and the globe (you know, Planet Earth ;-]).

This can take a bit of time, depending upon the GPS chipset in use. After the X and Y indicators are showing their numbers, try Google Earth again. If it is still not working, try downloading Spot for BlackBerry Demo, (Click Here for Spot's Homepage) which will allow you to use the program for about fifteen minutes or so. That should allow you to use Spot to get a GPS lock; Spot also has it's own X and Y page indicators. It's accessed by being on Spot's main startup page, and selecting Options>GPS Settings (or similar language) from within Spot.

One more thing that might work: Download BlackBerry Maps if it is not currently on your device. You may have to search for a manual download if AT&T has not provided it on the handset , but considering it's just another .jar or .cod file, it should probably be available. I'll look into it and send another email here.

If this does not work, then it's quite possible that AT&T locked out the hardware. I find this unlikely, as they don't lock out the 8800's GPS. Another factor might be that the GPS is locked out if you don't have a TeleNav Subscription. TeleNav having partnered with AT&T to provide directional and mapping services, including voice prompts for turns and such. This may be a requirement.

At length, if you can't use the GPS, then I'd take the handset back to the store immediately, report the GPS as being defective, and get another one right away. Oh, if you go this route, and you need another one, the 8310 also comes in Red ;-). Always nice to be different in the BlackBerry World.

If you have any further questions, I may be reached directly at firefisheATinboxDOTcom . I hope this helps.

Warm regards,
    Stephen Brown (a/k/a Firefishe)
    10-25-07 01:36 PM
    Go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS and see if the GPS is turned on. If not, then do so.

Do this while you are outside so the GPS can get a lock on to the satellites. The X and Y indicators should show some numbers after them if you are successful. During a new GPS startup, the GPS chip has to obtain what is called an "Almanac," which is, essentially, an electronic 'map' of where the satellites are in relation to each other and the globe (you know, Planet Earth ;-]).
    It's turned on. I'm going outside later to check.

This can take a bit of time, depending upon the GPS chipset in use. After the X and Y indicators are showing their numbers, try Google Earth again. If it is still not working, try downloading Spot for BlackBerry Demo which will allow you to use the program for about fifteen minutes or so. That should allow you to use Spot to get a GPS lock; Spot also has it's own X and Y page indicators. It's accessed by being on Spot's main startup page, and selecting Options>GPS Settings (or similar language) from within Spot.

One more thing that might work: Download BlackBerry Maps if it is not currently on your device. You may have to search for a manual download if AT&T has not provided it on the handset , but considering it's just another .jar or .cod file, it should probably be available. I'll look into it and send another email here.
    Where do I go in my Blackberry to check if I have Blackberry Maps?

If this does not work, then it's quite possible that AT&T locked out the hardware. I find this unlikely, as they don't lock out the 8800's GPS. Another factor might be that the GPS is locked out if you don't have a TeleNav Subscription. TeleNav having partnered with AT&T to provide directional and mapping services, including voice prompts for turns and such. This may be a requirement.

At length, if you can't use the GPS, then I'd take the handset back to the store immediately, report the GPS as being defective, and get another one right away. Oh, if you go this route, and you need another one, the 8310 also comes in Red ;-). Always nice to be different in the BlackBerry World.
    I'll check it soon!

If you have any further questions, I may be reached directly at firefisheATinboxDOTcom . I hope this helps.

Warm regards,
    Stephen Brown (a/k/a Firefishe)
    I will keep you posted! Thank you very much!!!

Neil
    10-25-07 03:36 PM
    I was able to obtain Latitude and Longtitude values. Do I need to tell Google Maps that I want to use it along with my GPS feature?
    10-25-07 03:47 PM
    I saw a website and it tells that Google Maps has GPS support. But I was still wondering why it was working. Like what I said, I can click "Refresh GPS" and it would be able to successfully get my location.

Anyone please?
    10-26-07 09:23 AM
    Ok guys, I reinstalled Google Maps and found out that GPS was set to prompt. I enabled it and now google maps is working well. I tried it a while ago and the blue circle is moving. Woohoo!!!

Now, why is it that it doesn't tell me that I need to make a left or right when I am near that point? I still have to press 3 so I can see my next direction.

Thanks!
    10-26-07 12:13 PM
    Ok guys, I reinstalled Google Maps and found out that GPS was set to prompt. I enabled it and now google maps is working well. I tried it a while ago and the blue circle is moving. Woohoo!!!

Now, why is it that it doesn't tell me that I need to make a left or right when I am near that point? I still have to press 3 so I can see my next direction.

Thanks!
    I'll have to try this with my 8310. I've installed Google maps but never used it. The first time I fired up TeleNav, I was on a business trip when I got the phone and told it to go to the AT&T store. Took me right there turn by turn and I was so happy, I haven't used anything else. Friggin' incredible phone though - my girlfriend has said twice "it's just a phone". Hey, when you're a road warrior like I am, you live off your cell phone .........
    10-27-07 04:19 PM
    Today, the GPS feature was tested. I drove from house to our church which is about 25 miles. I use the ball to pan the map so I can follow the blue circle. However, at the middle of our travel, the blue circle got stucked in the road and never continued to move anymore. I felt the feeling of defeat when that happened.

So what is the fix for this issue?
    10-27-07 10:06 PM
    friggin 8310, it happened again this afternoon. The blue circle got stucked again. Looks like the 8310 needs to be recalled!

Is anyone experiencing this issue?
    10-29-07 02:39 AM
    Actually, I tried Google maps instead of TeleNav going from the airport to my hotel this evening while on a business trip. Worked great although I actually prefer TeleNav just for the ***** proof factor (rental car, strange city, etc.). Sorry to say sounds like you might have a bad unit? Take it back to AT&T and see what they find. Hope you get it resolved - I absolutely love my 8310. Damned thing has become indispensible for me while on the road.
    10-29-07 08:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD