I never let any of mine get under 19 meg.

Ridiculous? Certainly. But I spent a lot of time trying to solve these problems, and never made any headway. To try to solve the biggest problem, the reboot during calls (the one that used up 3 phones), I even tried using it only on UMA, only on EDGE, and in places where I knew damned well I was not on the same tower. Nothing worked. #5 never had that particular problem, but when it did start rebooting, it would be down for 30 minutes. I wiped it, reloaded the OS, didn't even put my phone book on, and it rebooted 4 times that day.

I am going to stick with "crappy phone"
    02-23-09 01:41 PM
    Might I ask what you do for a living? I don't know what it might be, but maybe something in your daily routine is the culprit.

I've had my 8310 for over a year, and have never had a problem with it. Not a single unexplained reboot, loss of call logs and text messages, etc.
    02-23-09 01:48 PM
    I am Director of Engineering for an aerospace manufacturing company.

When it comes to failure analysis, I think the saying is "this ain't my first rodeo"
    02-23-09 02:04 PM
    I am going to stick with "crappy phone"
    Well I'm just saying there are many people that would disagree with that.
    02-23-09 02:32 PM
    Since it is largely a matter of personal experience, I would not even argue with them.

It's not like you said something demonstrably false like "Sarah Palin is qualified to be Vice President"

I am just looking forward to my new phone. Every once in a while I look over at my 8320 sitting there on my desk and tell it "your days are numbered, you P.O.S."
    02-23-09 02:45 PM
    I would like to know what applications you're running on the device, all of your Curves seem to have a re-booting problem, this is why I think it's user error as well. Maybe to get one or two bad Curves, but 6 and you're still having issues? You must be doing something...
    Last edited by SevereDeceit; 02-23-09 at 03:22 PM.
    02-23-09 03:02 PM
    I've been buying and selling the Curve "POS" for several months - mostly T-Mobile (8320) and a couple of unlocked AT&T units (8300 & 8310). I bought my first one for $40 that would shutdown but was fine while the charger was plugged in. That's when I came to this forum looking for help and sure enough, after searching and reading enough, someone had the same problem - the battery. Since then, I have rebuilt over a dozen used Curves and Pearls and they all worked like they should. I tell the buyers (I'm selling on Craigslist) that if the phone doesn't work like it should, they can return it. So far, no returns. Have I been just really lucky? Blackberry Curves are GREAT!!! Parts are easy to find and are fairly easy to dismantle. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by shfjcs; 02-23-09 at 03:34 PM.
    02-23-09 03:12 PM
    If you continue to have the same problem for as long as you have, and you know for a fact that you are not doing something wrong, I would think that long before now that you would have switched phones. Why are you getting another BlackBerry? You sound very disappointed and dissatisfied with this product and I can't understand as an intelligent, educated individual you would keep screwing around with the same "mouse trap" .

If you had a problem with both software and hardware like this in the Aerospace Engineering firm that you are Director of Engineering of, would you not look for an alternative supplier long before now, or leave others to believe that you are getting cash under the table?

Something here in your posts seems fishy to me. I don't mean to be pessimistic or argumentative with you, but I'm an engineer also. After the second one, I would have found a new manufacturer for my telephone requirements. You will not be satisfied with your new one and will find problems with it also

Good luck, since you are going to need every bit you can find since practicality doesn't work in your case.
    02-23-09 03:15 PM
    Two reasons I am getting the 8900 (neither of them is that I am a glutton for punishment or clinically insane)

1. Coverage in my office is horrible. You have to lean out the window to get one bar. The UMA feature alone is worth all this trouble. I know that T-Mobile offers this on non blackberries, but nothing with a keyboard and I have two teenage daughters who have lost the ability to communicate any other way than by text. Without the keyboard, I refuse to text anything.

2. Before the curve, I had one of those old blue ones (forget the number, but it was a color screen) followed by an 8700. Both of those were practically indestructable. By the time I got the 8700, the first one looked like I had been using it as a street hockey puck and it never missed a beat. I dropped the 8700 completely underwater once and it did not faze it a bit. So, I am not completely soured on the Blackberry brand.

Plus, it's just a frickin phone. I am not marrying the damned thing. Unless it comes packed with C4, it simply does not have the capacity to do anything serious enough to get me all that upset. It fails, I have them send me a new one. ****, they sent me 6 of the 8320s and I still have one working. It's not that big of a problem. Had dinner with a friend last night going in for one of those "We better check to see what the **** that thing is growing on your liver" operations. THAT'S a problem worth getting upset about.

This is just an excuse to waste time trying to solve a technical problem. Posting about it is sort of fun. Every once in a while someone says something interesting or clever. I get into the same sort of discussions about my Prius, which I also really don't give a crap about.
    02-23-09 03:39 PM
    If the 8900 breaks, I'll think it's bad luck.
    If it doesn't, it's the computer.
    02-23-09 04:12 PM
    Good luck with the 8900...
    02-23-09 04:15 PM
    I think it's just a huge scam to get the 8900...haha. Oh how I wish I could get the 8900 and my phone is working fine! Better luck with that one.
    02-23-09 04:54 PM
    Hadn't thought of that. A 5 month long scam to get a phone. Hmmm..
    02-23-09 06:06 PM
    Something isn't right. I'm sure they are hoping to lose this account.
    02-23-09 06:16 PM
    I'm kind of thinkin' the same thing as Tanker. I've followed some of the saga when I'm bored and I agree with most of the posters. I have found the Curve to be great and am highly suspicious when that many have to be replaced it makes me go "Hmmmmmmm"

~Jazzi~

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 07:00 PM
    I was wondering that as well. I asked the T-Mobile CS guy and it turns out that they have some sort of formula of X problems in Y weeks before they basically force you to take some crappy replacement. That, plus how long you have been a customer (me since before they renamed it T-mobile).

But they gave me a sweet deal on the 8900, so I guess I have not reached FOAD status yet.

And for the record, I had 5, not 6 go south on me. 6 is still running, although I had to reload the OS on Saturday. I hope it holds together till I sell it.

Now if you excuse me, there is a gun control rally I want to get to.
    02-23-09 07:18 PM
    Now if you excuse me, there is a gun control rally I want to get to.
    That part I think was at me!
    02-23-09 07:44 PM
    Of course not! I never poke fun at someone that is seriously armed or make prolonged eye contact with Ted Nugent. Just asking for trouble.
    02-23-09 07:50 PM
    Actually from what I have read he is not well liked, as it's documented that he is a draft dodger. I do love his music though.
    02-23-09 07:56 PM
    I used to, when I was younger. He hasn't made anything worth listening to since Intensities in Ten Cities. Plus, he has apparently gone insane.
    02-23-09 08:07 PM
    Lol Yea he's a bit over the edge.
    02-23-09 08:09 PM
    Let's play nice everyone...
    02-23-09 08:11 PM
    I used to, when I was younger. He hasn't made anything worth listening to since Intensities in Ten Cities. Plus, he has apparently gone insane.
    I don't know about his newer music but his old, I still turn it up.
    02-23-09 08:42 PM
    Yeah, Great White Buffalo will still get my attention.
    02-24-09 07:32 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD