Ok so is 4.5 worth my time and should I download my own 4.5 upgrade or should I do the one my desktop software found when I had it scan for updates?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-09 11:01 PM
    I tried the Alltel upgrde, but had problems with the play lists in media player. I upgraded to the Sprint version .131 and everything is working fine.

Just rremove the vendor xml file and it will work on your Alltel phone. You can find the info. in the 131 thread.
    03-05-09 05:38 AM
    .131 is the way to go for 8330s
    03-05-09 06:29 AM
    Make sure you always do a backup before any new OS installation.
    03-05-09 06:34 AM
    I posted a similar question in the "Other North American providers" asking about Cellular South BB's using the .131.

I was curious because I only saw Sprint and Verizon comments in the whole 8330 upgrade thread (didn't read the whole thing, it's 35 pages).

I finally folded and upgraded... I gained like 5 MB of free space with that upgrade.

I don't know if it was the upgrade, but, my 8330 (2 days old) when I plugged it up to the car charger went into Vibrate overkill. I mean Oh my god! it wouldn't stop. I had to unsnap the Otter Box, and remove the battery to get it to stop. No buttons were usable during the vibrate overkill. I do not know if that was an upgrade or just a fluke. I received an email when I plugged it up, that's when it happened. I have it set to vibrate then ring.

Anyway, so far so good.

I will say though that it seems like my 8130 browser was faster than the 8330 browser when it loads. Anyone that went from Pearl to Curve notice any changes in speed?

I still think that the upgrades are the best way to go.

One quick question though. If another provider should come out with an upgrade, let's say Verizon (HYPOTHETICAL), and it is a .131 (same as Sprint) would there be any difference in using the Verizon over the Sprint upgrade? or would they be essentially the same thing.

Would the newer .131 offer a fix that the Sprint does not have.

Would BB even make the same exact update for another provider, or if they did would they just remove Sprints vendor file and use another carriers vendor file.

I hope this makes sense, and have not confused anyone.

msblueline
    03-05-09 07:12 AM
    Ok thanks all I may try to use the sprint 4.5 and take out the vendor file

03-05-09 01:12 PM
    Ok thanks all I may try to use the sprint 4.5 and take out the vendor file

Don't use DM 4.7, use 4.6 or 4.5 for a smoother problem free upgrade.
    03-05-09 01:22 PM
    Ok so is 4.5 worth my time and should I download my own 4.5 upgrade or should I do the one my desktop software found when I had it scan for updates?

The check for updates applies to BlackBerry Desktop Manager, not the BlackBerry Device Software. They are two separate packages.

First question, is the v4.5xx upgrade worthwhile? Yes, it add a lot of new functions and improves the performance. It is a mid life upgrade for the produce, much better then the previous version.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software

Second question, How to upgrade?

The best way is to use your carriers automated upgrade procedure. It will install their supported version and they will take responsibility for any failures.

There is little advantage to chasing the latest upgrade, the current version are very stable. If you are so inclined, it is easy to find the links and step by step directions.
    03-05-09 01:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD