hi all
    i am the proud owner of a 8310 curve bb and am stuck on 2 things

1. how do you turn the phone to silent for meetings work etc?

2. (and the most frustrating) when i first got the phone when i was writting sms e-mail etc it would suggest almost complete sentances, dont know what i have done but now it doesnt even predict the word i am typing?!!.........please help

ps. please make the help as simple as you can as i am a bit of a technophob

thanx anyone who answers x

donna
    06-28-08 01:52 AM
    hi all
    i am the proud owner of a 8310 curve bb and am stuck on 2 things

1. how do you turn the phone to silent for meetings work etc?

2. (and the most frustrating) when i first got the phone when i was writting sms e-mail etc it would suggest almost complete sentances, dont know what i have done but now it doesnt even predict the word i am typing?!!.........please help

ps. please make the help as simple as you can as i am a bit of a technophob

thanx anyone who answers x

donna
    For the silent mode question, go to profiles and set it up so that your phone is set to silent or vibrate when you put it in a certain profile, I've never used a BB before so I'm not sure if you can make additional profiles or if it just gives you a list. But either way, just set it up so that one is set for every alert to be silent or vibrate. Then put it in that profile when you're at a place that you need your phone to be quiet.

The predictive text is SureType. The only thing I can think of is that you disabled it in the options, go into options and look for SureType or "predictive text" and turn it on.

I'm sure some more experienced people will come answer a little better than I can.

Until then, head over to BlackBerry 101. Hover your cursor over the "Blogs" tab in the top left of the page and it should bring up a drop-down menu, 6th or 7th is "BlackBerry 101". Hope this helps!
    06-28-08 02:07 AM
    For the silent mode question, go to profiles and set it up so that your phone is set to silent or vibrate when you put it in a certain profile, I've never used a BB before so I'm not sure if you can make additional profiles or if it just gives you a list. But either way, just set it up so that one is set for every alert to be silent or vibrate. Then put it in that profile when you're at a place that you need your phone to be quiet.

The predictive text is SureType. The only thing I can think of is that you disabled it in the options, go into options and look for SureType or "predictive text" and turn it on.

I'm sure some more experienced people will come answer a little better than I can.

Until then, head over to BlackBerry 101. Hover your cursor over the "Blogs" tab in the top left of the page and it should bring up a drop-down menu, 6th or 7th is "BlackBerry 101". Hope this helps!
    Nearly right. Not bad since you don't actually have a Blackberry yet. The 8310 does not have SureType, that's only for the Pearl series. The 8310 uses a thing called Auto Text (the Pearl has this too) in place of T9. It is a very different animal from T9.

To test Auto Text start typing a message (email or SMS) and type 'acn' now type a space. 'acn' becomes 'can'. That's it in action. Now go to Options, Auto Text and you will see all the pre-defined corrections it already knows about. Press Menu and you will see that you can add your own abbreviations and corrections. This includes entering entire paragraphs of text if you wish. Thes can be asigned to any two key and more characters. Imagine having 'Thank you for your recent letter blah, blah, blah' assigned to 'xx'.

I don't use BES. You best bet is to ask your own IT dept. at work.

Welcome to Crackberry.
    Last edited by Pete6; 06-28-08 at 03:22 AM.
    06-28-08 03:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD