I am installing my BB desktop software and I am installing the version that came with my 8320 Curve from T-Mo.. When the install screen came up, I was given the option of downloading and installing the most recent version from RIM's website. I started the download and it looked as if I was also getting a newer version of the Curve's OS. At this point I changed my mind and stopped the download and started installing the DM version that came with the BB on a cd because 1. I wasn't sure if the newer version was the right one for the OS on my Curve - .180. And 2. I am not sure I am ready to install a newer OS until it is released by T-Mo. My question is pretty simple, did I do the right thing - would the newer DM version from RIM work with my current OS. Does anyone have any additional advice?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 07-18-08 at 07:20 PM.
    07-18-08 07:15 PM
    DTM has added some minor improvements, but nothing like the device OS.

You may have been confused by the similarity in version numbers. It has nothing to do with your device OS.

The download is huge, nearly 200 Mb with Media Manager. I have installed it and recommend it.

You will also need a copy of your device OS.

07-18-08 07:26 PM
    I grabbed 4.5 but it was too much for my laptop, works fine on PC. It is said in order to upgrade to 4.5 OS you need 4.5 DM

07-18-08 07:30 PM
    I probably was confused by the similarity of version numbers - and knew it at the time, lol. I will go back and download the new desktop manager. I also plan to get a new OS pretty soon. Thanks for the feedback -- it confirmed what I was thinking. I am wondering about the laptop not handling the download because I only have a laptop, but it is pretty new. I also have a pretty speedy internet connection.
    07-18-08 07:53 PM
    You do not need dm 4.5 to install os 4.5, trust me It worked on dm 4.2! I am running dm 4.5 now and I would recommend using it, its a major upgrade from the older versions.

07-18-08 08:03 PM
    I just installed DM 4.5 yesturday. I've not used it yet. I don't need to do anything other than install it to be able to use it to add apps, backup my BB, etc do I?

07-19-08 01:19 AM
    Once running and you Berry is connected to your computer, the DTM should see you device and connect you can then choose what to do. Backup, Install apps, Sync, etc.
    07-19-08 09:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD