I did something I probably shouldn't have, and bought a 8320 off of Cragislist, trying to save me some $. It came only with the cord; no cd and no booklet. It had been used, and the memory wiped (or something) before I got it.

I wanted to play brickbreaker after I got it, and realized it wasn't installed. (I've searched online about this and tried showing all of the hidden icons, checking the application list, and trying to find some way to download it directly to the BB without the desktop software, but all to no avail.)

So, I went to the T-Mobile site and downloaded the applicaiton and desktop software for my new phone. It can't find my phone when I plug it in; in fact, Windows doesn't seem to notice it either. (Usually when I plug a new USB device in, the little hardware wizard initializes, but not this time.) My computer seems to be oblivious as to the phone being plugged in. However, the BB does charge the battery when it's plugged in via USB.

I'm pretty sure my cable and USB ports are alright; and I've cleaned out my phone port with compressed air, just in case.

Anyone have any other suggestions (except for don't buy used ^_^)?

Thanks.
    01-02-09 05:11 PM
    What version of windows are you running? Have you tried rebooting both your computer and the phone? Do you have another USB cable you could test with?
    01-02-09 05:20 PM
    I'm having a similar problem. Desktop Manager connects with my BB and displays my PIN and can save backups, but my pc doesn't see the phone as a Mass Storage device (it's enabled).

I have XP SP2 running, and I have tried rebooting both PC and BB. Still doesn't show up as a drive.
    01-02-09 05:27 PM
    I'm running Vista on my laptop, and XP Service Pack 2 on my desktop. Both have the same problem. I have tried another cord and still get the same result. It's like the computer doesn't even notice I've got anything plugged in.

Oh, and before I get asked the question; yes, I have rebooted my laptop, desktop, and BB. Nothing changed.

I guess I should also state (even though I doubt it makes a difference) that my phone is a T-Mobile 8320, but it has been unlocked and is now on the AT&T network.
    Last edited by animesensei; 01-02-09 at 05:38 PM.
    01-02-09 05:32 PM
    try wiping the phone and re-install the T-mobile 4.5.0.81 OS??
    01-02-09 05:40 PM
    That makes me wonder if it isn't a problem with the device rather than your computer, since the problem persists with 2 computers. It would be nice if you had another BB to test, and another USB cable. Just to rule out things.
    01-02-09 05:42 PM
    I've wondered if it's the phone as well. I hope not.

How would I go about wiping and installing the OS without a computer to hook it up to?

If I have a friend with a Pearl, would that work with my current software that I downloaded from the T-Mobile site? (Device Manager and Desktop Manager) Could I test it with that?
    Last edited by animesensei; 01-02-09 at 06:22 PM.
    01-02-09 05:46 PM
    It may be assigning your BB a drive letter that's already in use. Open disk management and check for the BlackBerry there. Change the drive letter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 01:17 PM
    If DM can see your device and back it up, you should still be able to run AppLoader and install BrickBreaker. It comes with the OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD