Just wanted to pass on what I've figured out on the track ball color idea. Some have suggested coloring a piece of tape with a marker and removing the track ball and placing the tape under the track ball. This works for a while but the color slowly fades or wears away. However, A few months back I noticed that I had a cereal bag (yeah, breakfast food!) that had mostly orange and blue coloring to the bag. The colors and bag of course are transparent, or in other words they let light through. So I cut a small square of the orange section of plastic and removed the track ball housing and placed it underneath and replaced the track ball back in. Months later, I've still got a cool glowing orange track ball, and my girlfriend has a equally cool blue glowing track ball! Find a colored plastic food bag such as a cereal bag and color your track ball - SHOW-OFF!!
    10-11-08 10:39 PM
    or you can just buy colored cellophane from any craft or office supply store.
    10-11-08 10:46 PM
    Do you have any pictures of yours or your girlfriends trackball? I'd like to see how it looks before I rip my trackball out. Thanks.
    10-11-08 10:55 PM
    Do you have any pictures of yours or your girlfriends trackball? I'd like to see how it looks before I rip my trackball out. Thanks.
    trackball is really easy to pop.

make sure you have a really thin, small flat tip screwdriver. insert it between the screen and chrome ring and push the end towards the screen. the ring will pop out with minimal force.

the trackball assembly just falls right out when you invert the device. there are keyways on the left and right sides to align when you put it back in. to install the chrome ring, just make sure the 3 tabs wrap around the bottom edge of the opening at 3, 6, and 9 on a clock's face.

simple enough to do and nearly harmless so you can experiment with it yourself as pics dont always do justice to subtle lighting changes, especially if the person taking the photos is not a photographer.
    10-11-08 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD