My school uses a special version of Gmail for its official email system. It's the same gmail interface except you access it on my school's website and the email addresses use my school's .edu domain name. The school says the imap mail server is imap.gmail.com, while my email address is a .edu. BIS won't setup the email.

What have you guys done to get this to work?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    05-28-08 10:22 PM
    i had this same problem too!! i would love to know how.. i just set my .edu email to forward to my blackberry email... but i would love to have it set up on its own if thats possible too.. if not you can set it up to forward all email to your @blackberry.net email and you will get it true PUSH as well..
    05-28-08 10:27 PM
    Yeah, I thought about that a little bit. I've never been a fan of forwarding me email because when you respond it's coming from another email address. This is useless for school/work email addresses where that is the expected and preferred email address.

Some people on these networks often setup really high aggressive spam filters that often block many outside email addresses particularly if they trigger the spam filter. Even worse, some filter outside email addresses all together because it's a normal expectation that everyone should use the official email system. My high school had really tough filters and I'd have to always resend or rephrases messages to make sure they got through the filters. I'm just paranoid that a crucial and time-sensitive message would get blocked.
    05-28-08 10:44 PM
    i know what your talking about man... mines the same way.. this "powered by google" bs.. quite annoying if you ask me... i wish there was a way to make it work.. yet to find one tho
    05-28-08 10:48 PM
    Did you check with your IT department? I've been hesitant because they don't own my hardware and they'll just flip out and refuse to help me out. I'm sure there are high-level administrators that have their own BBs. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them have BBs issued by the school. Have you tried setting up your email with outlook, thunderbird, apple mail, etc? I wonder if those folks experience the same problems.

I'll try calling my IT people up tomorrow.
    05-29-08 04:06 AM
    i have not i just used the standard univ login.. i was just now considering contacting the IT department as well so i will try doing that shortly..
    05-29-08 07:30 AM
    Can you still forward your emails?

I have emails forwarded to my @vzw.blackberry.net email and set the reply to address to my gmail.
    05-29-08 07:37 AM
    Telejeff,

It sounds like your university is using Google Apps. This is essentially Gmail using your school's domain but run from Google's servers. It has become popular with some educational institutions and small businesses that want web-based email, using their own domain name, but don't want the complexity and expense of running their own server. Proponents argue that it's like getting Microsoft Exchange Server for free.

There are a number of elements to Google Apps, email being one of them. For info, go to google.com/a

It can be set up for a Blackberry, but you have to download a particular application. If you do an internet search, you will find a good number of discussions about how well it does/doesn't work. The issues have to do with push email and email synchronization. Also, while Google Apps doesn't say this on its site, note that for the moment, at least, Google Apps Contacts will not synchronize with your Blackberry Address Book. Apparently, they are working on it. Picking up on one of your sentences, in which you refer to Outlook and Thunderbird, note that this is not about setting up an email client. It is about the server, not the client.

I don't see any reason why your IT department would "flip out". In fact, you might find that they are interested. Also, everything that I have read about Google Apps/Gmail spam filtering has been very positive.
    Last edited by redge; 05-29-08 at 11:28 AM.
    05-29-08 10:51 AM
    i currently have it set up to forward, and i have received ZERO spam.. i only received important emails that i have needed its not a bad way to have it set up and its true push because it pushes it to my blackberry address.. I emailed my IT department about this and i will report in when i hear back..
    05-29-08 11:19 AM
    i just received the information from my univ how to configure it and i am finally set up through BIS for my .edu.. yAy!
    05-29-08 12:23 PM
    Telejeff,

It sounds like your university is using Google Apps. This is essentially Gmail using your school's domain but run from Google's servers. It has become popular with some educational institutions and small businesses that want web-based email, using their own domain name, but don't want the complexity and expense of running their own server. Proponents argue that it's like getting Microsoft Exchange Server for free.

There are a number of elements to Google Apps, email being one of them. For info, go to google.com/a

It can be set up for a Blackberry, but you have to download a particular application. If you do an internet search, you will find a good number of discussions about how well it does/doesn't work. The issues have to do with push email and email synchronization. Also, while Google Apps doesn't say this on its site, note that for the moment, at least, Google Apps Contacts will not synchronize with your Blackberry Address Book. Apparently, they are working on it. Picking up on one of your sentences, in which you refer to Outlook and Thunderbird, note that this is not about setting up an email client. It is about the server, not the client.

I don't see any reason why your IT department would "flip out". In fact, you might find that they are interested. Also, everything that I have read about Google Apps/Gmail spam filtering has been very positive.
    Yes, I'm well aware it's google apps. I mentioned the name in other threads and everyone was clueless. I apologize if I'm explaining things in such a way that gives you the impression I have no idea what I'm dealing with. I appreciate all your help.

The whole forwarding thing has nothing to do with that I fear I'll be getting or spreading spam. It's because some people simply block outside domains. The address book synchronization thing won't kill me that bad. I usually start emails on a computer and read and write replies on my BB anyways.

One of the main issues I've found with the google apps site is I follow their directions explicitly and it doesn't work. They use the same help/support content as they do for the standard gmail service. It's very noticeable with the differences in the servers google and my university claim they use.

As for the client vs. server debate, I'm confused as to how it would be more complex to setup an imap client on a blackberry than on a computer. What's the difference? Both get their email pushed if you leave the computer mail client running full time. What's the difference? They're just syncing up with an imap server.

Sorry I'm a bit pessimistic with my IT department. I'm just so used to IT departments being underfunded/limited-resourced and as a result rightfully not giving a **** when they don't absolutely have to.

Thanks for all your help. I'll do a search.
    05-31-08 04:26 AM
    I set up my Univ email on the BB.
    05-31-08 05:05 AM
    ^^^ is it google apps based? how?
    05-31-08 10:24 AM
    i have it set up as well.. it does not come through as "true push" this way.. the only way to get it true push is to forward to your BB email address.. and yes it is google apps based..
    05-31-08 10:27 AM
    I have google email for my email at work, and we are very small business.... i went to my bis manager, and entered the info, and it works just fine...

So not sure why it would not work for you..
    05-31-08 12:53 PM
    Gotta admit, that google is a genius for doing this, i mean true they are probably doing this for free, but the fact they are getting an additional X number of people on their site, is amazing...
    05-31-08 12:54 PM
    No one has a clue? I read some articles online and I'm still confused.
    06-02-08 05:17 AM
    Friend had the same problem with our college email, all you need to do is go into the settings and fix it from there like you would on regular gmail to push them to the blackberry and it should work. This is the way me and a friend have set up ours with our school accounts once our school switched to gmail.
    06-02-08 11:40 AM
    No one has a clue? I read some articles online and I'm still confused.
    I DID get it to work.. my email now gets pushed from my .edu to my handset. it is not INSTANT push, more like a 5-10 minute delay, but none the less works flawlessly.. you will need to get in contact with your IT department because mine linked me to a GOOGLE/.EDU Synchronizing site that sync's the .edu with the Gmail servers which then allows inputting the IMAP or POP settings.. works with both.. im using the IMAP.. im sure the account synchronizing site is university dependant..
    06-02-08 02:50 PM
    I never check my .edu address, so I have always had it forwarded to my gmail account...works for me
    06-02-08 03:10 PM
    I never check my .edu address, so I have always had it forwarded to my gmail account...works for me
    LOL. I appreciate your helpfulness. We've already established that as an irrelevant option. I highly doubt anyone having this problem has never considered forwarding their email as an option.

I don't think I would have made this thread if I was well aware and/or satisfied with forwarding my edu email to my gmail or bb account. Why continually offer it as a solution? Particularly, when it's been mentioned a zillion times.

I apologize for my rant, but why is it so difficult to understand the point/purpose of this thread? The point of this thread is get your edu email on your BB, NOT forwarding your edu mail to a BB email. I'm not demanding solutions or blaming the problem on anyone. All you have to do is read the thread.
    06-04-08 08:44 AM
    Friend had the same problem with our college email, all you need to do is go into the settings and fix it from there like you would on regular gmail to push them to the blackberry and it should work. This is the way me and a friend have set up ours with our school accounts once our school switched to gmail.
    What were these settings? Enable IMAP?
    06-04-08 08:48 AM
    LOL. I appreciate your helpfulness. We've already established that as an irrelevant option. I highly doubt anyone having this problem has never considered forwarding their email as an option.

I don't think I would have made this thread if I was well aware and/or satisfied with forwarding my edu email to my gmail or bb account. Why continually offer it as a solution? Particularly, when it's been mentioned a zillion times.

I apologize for my rant, but why is it so difficult to understand the point/purpose of this thread? The point of this thread is get your edu email on your BB, NOT forwarding your edu mail to a BB email. I'm not demanding solutions or blaming the problem on anyone. All you have to do is read the thread.
    why has it been so difficult for you to realise that i found a solution to the problem and now have my google powered EDU mail on my BIS account... if you would have noticed i told you EXACTLY what you need to do to have this work.. you may want to re read previous posts.. and no Just enabling IMAP or pop will not allow you to add your google powered univ email to your BIS... hence the entire its not a imap.gmail.com address because well... its not GMAIL.. yet
    Last edited by xplode; 06-04-08 at 10:23 AM.
    06-04-08 10:19 AM
    why has it been so difficult for you to realise that i found a solution to the problem and now have my google powered EDU mail on my BIS account... if you would have noticed i told you EXACTLY what you need to do to have this work.. you may want to re read previous posts.. and no Just enabling IMAP or pop will not allow you to add your google powered univ email to your BIS... hence the entire its not a imap.gmail.com address because well... its not GMAIL.. yet
    I recognize that. But I was not responding to you. You explained to me that this issue is at the fault of the way the way the school setups the email system. I really appreciate your help. I was simply trying to find information on the topic and not forward my email. That's all. You were helpful. Don't feel bad.
    06-06-08 05:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD