I've had several instances now where I thought a program was closed, but in fact it was still running in the background.

So my question is, how exactly do you close a program? Usually I hit the menu key and scroll to the option to exit or close. Occasionally I've found that simply hitting the escape key works, but that isn't effective for all programs.

Is there a separate way to leave programs running in the background without actually exiting them? If so, can you toggle between two applications at the same time?

I've done some searches but perhaps I'm not using the right keywords. I've also looked in the manual and only found info related to the application switcher. I've seen mine come up occasionally, but usually I use Launchpads to get to programs I use the most. Not sure if the app switcher allows you to toggle between two running programs or not?

I've had my Curve for several months; you'd think I'd have figured this out by now.
    07-13-08 10:14 PM
    how exactly do you close a program?
    Menu > Close/Exit.

Not every app can be closed. Browser, Phone, Call Log, BB Messenger, Messages, and a I think a couple others will always remain running.

Is there a separate way to leave programs running in the background without actually exiting them?
    Pressing the end key. I would not leave apps running that do not need to be running since they could leak memory.

can you toggle between two applications at the same time?
    Alt+Escape/back. Also not advised to do this often as it has in the past been very detrimental to memory allocation.
    07-13-08 10:20 PM
    What applications are you specifically concerned with? Some apps are not able to be "closed".

You are correct, the proper way to close the app is Menu > Close
    07-13-08 10:20 PM
    Any shortcut to 'exit all applicications' at the same time ?
    07-13-08 11:04 PM
    Unfortunately no.
    07-13-08 11:10 PM
    Any shortcut to 'exit all applicications' at the same time ?

YES - battery pull..............
    07-14-08 03:37 AM
    Is there any way to see what applications are curently running?
    07-14-08 09:52 AM
    I usually go to 'switch application' then scroll through the 'open' applications.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-08 10:02 AM
    YES - battery pull..............
    i agree.. this will also free up memory
    07-14-08 12:21 PM
    Thanks so much for all the replies! I thought I'd subscribed to this thread, but apparently not, and then I sort of "lost" where I'd posted it. Thankfully it turned up on a search.

I hadn't realized that some programs never really closed.

The browser in particular seemed to be the one that didn't close properly -- sometimes I'd open it and it would still be on the last page I'd visited, so I worried it was hogging memory all that time. Since then I've been careful to push and hold the escape key to close it, but now it sounds like it doesn't really close entirely anyway.

So if I'm understanding all this correctly, the Application Switcher shows you all open programs only? I never really understood how that worked, but I'm learning lots in this thread!
    Last edited by wbailey; 07-14-08 at 11:17 PM.
    07-14-08 11:14 PM
    Yeah. I am onm WAP so I cannot see what device you have, but on the curve... Alt-Esc (back button) brings up the app switcher!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-08 11:17 PM
    Didn't know about that shortcut, so thanks for the tip! There are so many nice shortcuts on the Blackberry, but I fear it will take me many years to learn them all! I put them on a file to keep in my Blackberry, but I think I need to break them out a bit better because scrolling through that long list is a bit daunting. I have a Curve, incidentally.
    07-14-08 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD