Guys/gals, I'm a 3 day old virgin so pardon the simplest of questions:

where in the options can we modify the sync timelines (ie. sync every 30 min vs. every 5).
    also, what setting do I modify to want to have deleted messages (from my corporate email) cleared from the blackberry?
    Basically, what I'm saying is that I'll delete an email directly on my corporate email, but it will still reside on my Blackberry 2 hours later...even after a sync.

sorry, I'm a former Mobilr 5/6.0 guy, this is new to me. Better...but new.

cheers.
    10-27-08 04:25 PM
    sorry, one other question:

how do I tranfer music files (MP3) to the device from my laptop (ringtones).

thanks.
    10-27-08 04:27 PM
    Guys/gals, I'm a 3 day old virgin so pardon the simplest of questions:

where in the options can we modify the sync timelines (ie. sync every 30 min vs. every 5).
    also, what setting do I modify to want to have deleted messages (from my corporate email) cleared from the blackberry?
    Basically, what I'm saying is that I'll delete an email directly on my corporate email, but it will still reside on my Blackberry 2 hours later...even after a sync.

sorry, I'm a former Mobilr 5/6.0 guy, this is new to me. Better...but new.

cheers.
    It sounds like you are on a BES account. Do your calendar, contacts, notes and tasks sync over-the-air, or just your email? If all five sync OTA, then you're on BES and your email will arrive within a few seconds of its arrival on the server. You can't change that. If you delete a message from your Outlook inbox, it will automatically delete from your BB Inbox, as long as you leave it in the deleted items folder on your PC long enough for the BlackBerry to know it's been deleted.

If only your email syncs OTA, then you're on BIS. Your mail will be pushed to your BlackBerry at regular intervals. You can't change that interval. It's fairly short, but I don't know exactly what it is. 5-10 minutes is probably about right. If you go to
    Messages / Options / Email Reconciliation /
    Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
    Wireless Reconcile: On
    On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins
    your messages should delete from the BlackBerry when you delete them from your PC inbox.
    Last edited by JeffH; 10-27-08 at 04:51 PM. Reason: clarity
    10-27-08 04:49 PM
    sorry, one other question:

how do I tranfer music files (MP3) to the device from my laptop (ringtones).

thanks.
    you can just connect the phone through the USB cable and make sure you have mass storage enabled.
    10-27-08 05:12 PM
    Thanks JeffH. I'm on a BES. I typically empty my deleted folder quickly, I'll start waiting until next morning to do so and see if that helps.

SCGolfer...how do I enable mass storage?
    10-27-08 05:26 PM
    Plug it into the PC cord and the BB screen should ask you if you want to enter Mass Storage mode.
    10-27-08 07:20 PM
    Thanks JeffH. I'm on a BES. I typically empty my deleted folder quickly, I'll start waiting until next morning to do so and see if that helps.

The next day will be plenty of time. If you delete the message from the Deleted Items folder before the BlackBerry notices you put it there, it doesn't know where you put it, so it leaves it alone, the same as if you'd moved it to an unsynched folder in Outlook.

Mass Storage Mode lets you drag and drop files to/from your computer to your BlackBerry Media Card. You have to have a Media Card to use it. You enable it as follows:

Status / Options / Media Card
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: your choice
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

Plug the BlackBerry into a USB port, answer Yes to the prompt, and the BlackBerry Media card will show up as a disk drive in My Computer. Then you can drag and drop.

For most purposes, Mass Storage Mode is much better than Media Manager. The only time you really have to use Media Manager is to get pictures out of your device memory. Mass Storage Mode can't see the device memory. Once the pictures are on the Media Card, Mass Storage Mode will let you drag and drop between the BlackBerry and your PC.

In Rim's implementation of microSD cards, they're used for ringtones, videos, music, and pictures. (That's why Rim calls them Media Cards, even though they're sold as microSD cards.) You can also use one as a memory stick, like a USB disk, using Mass Storage mode, but you can't access those files from the BlackBerry without 3rd party software. You can't run apps from one, yet.
    10-27-08 07:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD