So after realizing that my phone wouldn't charge because the plug in part on the phone broke away from the circuit board. I know i need a replace me phone to swap the screen,pad, and etc. But will the cradle charger work too? Or could i re solder it back on to the circuit?
    05-28-08 11:00 PM
    Cradle charger would work, but your sync capabilities have just been limited to Bluetooth only, if you're not on BES.

BTW, slightly out in left field here, but who here thinks a Class Action should be started for weak USB ports on BB against RIM? These things are way too weak. They get loose and they also break. My USB ports on my laptop/PC/external HDs don't have these problems... WTF RIM?
    05-28-08 11:10 PM
    yea i don't like being limited, as if im already limited, with out a video recorder and other, fun little stuff. But does any one have a parts BB with a working USB port forsale? what BES?
    05-28-08 11:22 PM
    Cradle charger would work, but your sync capabilities have just been limited to Bluetooth only, if you're not on BES.

BTW, slightly out in left field here, but who here thinks a Class Action should be started for weak USB ports on BB against RIM? These things are way too weak. They get loose and they also break. My USB ports on my laptop/PC/external HDs don't have these problems... WTF RIM?
    Yes, I agree. The USB charging/sync port is a very weak point on the Blackberry. I have just replaced two of them on 8100s and it is a real pain to do. The contacts are really tiny.

RIM have done the best job possible with fixing the USB port to the mainborad but the fact is that a USB port is unsuitable for its intended function without extra mechanical support.

RIM, imo, need to do two things.
    1). supply a charging cradle in every box
    2). reinforce the USB connector with extra plastic to support the USB cable.

Again, imo, almost any damage or berakage of the USB port is not the fault of the user. Why? Most users treat their Blackberrys with the utmost respect and do not mishandle them. However daily charging and frequent backups mean that the strain on this very weak conector is continuously high.

If a charging cradle is used then this strain is greatly reduced on a daily basis.

If bluetooth syncing were made available for BIS users then the strain would fall almost to zero for most users who used the cradle for charging as well.
    Last edited by Pete6; 05-29-08 at 06:03 AM.
    05-29-08 05:59 AM
    Bluetooth sync is available, but you can't do things like OS loads, Mass Storage, etc. without a cable.
    05-29-08 11:36 AM
    Where can you find the replacement part? This just happened to me and I have no way to charge my phone!
    05-30-08 12:28 AM
    I see your with ATT. My pin did the same thing a few months ago. I called and had to bring the phone into the local store.

Once they saw the pin was broken. They filled out a referral form that I took to the local ATT tech repair shop. Her in Houston, they have only 2. Lucky for me, it was close.

Took it by with the referral form and they replaced my phone with a like new referbished one.

Only setback was the long wait at the store.
    05-30-08 01:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD