I want to switch my BB from Alltel to sprint.. I've wiped the phone with jl commander, then when I go to the loader it just loads the alltel firmware back on. Any suggestions?
    07-29-10 12:10 PM
    The OS is not carrier specific, and you can't change carriers by switching the software anyway.
    07-29-10 12:14 PM
    I understand what you're saying, but when I download the "sprint firmware" it's still the alltel firmware and I get an "alltel" welcome message. I want the phone to look like it came from sprint. Also, am I going to have any issues with the phone being locked to alltel?
    Last edited by 00ffej; 07-29-10 at 12:19 PM.
    07-29-10 12:17 PM
    What you want to do is called debranding. It can be done, but it can brick your BB if you don't do it right.
    07-29-10 12:23 PM
    I want to switch my BB from Alltel to sprint.. I've wiped the phone with jl commander, then when I go to the loader it just loads the alltel firmware back on. Any suggestions?
    You need to delete the vendor.xml file in your AppLoader folder to load another carriers software.
    07-29-10 12:26 PM
    It won't happen. CDMA providers use a database of all ESNs. If a device is not branded to their network, they will not allow it to be used.

If you want Sprint, you need a Sprint branded phone. You would be better off selling your 8330 and buying one branded to Sprint.
    07-29-10 12:28 PM
    You can't use a Verizon device on Sprint, since they are both CDMA. You can unlock VZW "world" phones to run on AT&T and TMo.
    07-29-10 12:29 PM
    I understand what you're saying, but when I download the "sprint firmware" it's still the alltel firmware and I get an "alltel" welcome message. I want the phone to look like it came from sprint. Also, am I going to have any issues with the phone being locked to alltel?
    Whoa, I take back everything I said about deleting vendor.xml file. I though your had moved your account to Sprint and were just using the Alltel phone. There is also an issue of CDMA vs ESN phones. Not sure what Sprint uses.
    07-29-10 12:31 PM
    My current situation is I have two 8330's, one from alltel that works perfectly, one from sprint that no matter how many times I change the trackball, it still is a pain to get it to scroll left and right. My service is through Sprint. Any way to flash the phone from alltel to sprint? If not, has anybody experienced this problem with the trackball before?
    Last edited by 00ffej; 07-29-10 at 01:04 PM.
    07-29-10 12:33 PM
    Take your Sprint phone in to a Sprint corporate store. They install trackballs for you free now. Were you using oem trackballs, or some of the cheap Chinese sourced stuff?
    07-29-10 02:17 PM
    While you're at it take the Alltel phone and you can ask about switching the number to that phone. See what they say. But I think the network and phone are incompatible.
    07-29-10 03:05 PM
    It won't happen. CDMA providers use a database of all ESNs. If a device is not branded to their network, they will not allow it to be used.

If you want Sprint, you need a Sprint branded phone. You would be better off selling your 8330 and buying one branded to Sprint.
    getting a Sprint phone would be the easiest option. however, rebranding an 8330 is possible, yet not advised. i think metro pcs offers rebranding of verizon and sprint 8330's to their companys. but like i said, possible, but too much of a pain in the ****. not to mention, smaller regional carriers may do it, but bigger ones like sprint and verizon will not. plus, as you stated, they may not let outside ESN's onto their network.
    07-30-10 03:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD