When entering a new contact via the home screen I notice it saves the number entered as the work number, is there any way to change this default to, say mobile?

I don't always, heck hardly ever enter a new contact by going to the address book first. Normally I get their number and then enter their name.
    Last edited by ERDude; 05-20-08 at 12:32 AM.
    05-20-08 12:15 AM
    Good question. It's been on my Wanted list since I got my Curve. Wish I had an answer...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-08 12:30 AM
    No way to change this, but if you email RIM at [email protected] with it, maybe they will listen and allow for a choice to pop up when you click Save to ask what field to drop the number into before it takes you to the contact screen to fill in everything else.
    05-20-08 12:32 AM
    Yeah, that's really annoying. I imported all my contacts from my SIM card and then had to go through each one changing it over to the correct place.
    05-20-08 12:33 AM
    No way to change this, but if you email RIM at [email protected] with it, maybe they will listen and allow for a choice to pop up when you click Save to ask what field to drop the number into before it takes you to the contact screen to fill in everything else.
    Thanks, maybe if the get enough requests they'll make this an option, especially with more and more non-business users selecting the BB as their phone of choice.
    05-20-08 12:39 AM
    Yeah, that's really annoying. I imported all my contacts from my SIM card and then had to go through each one changing it over to the correct place.
    Yes, it does get annoying. I usually wind up syncing twice once to get the info on the computer and once again after placing the number in the correct place.
    05-20-08 12:41 AM
    I have found that if you use a phone call to save a number from the call log it goes to default work, but if you save a number from a text message it will default to mobile. That is the only way I have found to correct that inconvenience.
    09-03-08 10:14 PM
    This is a major annoyance, and I don't think it will be fixed. RIM's really losing it in the consumer market.
    01-11-09 08:36 AM
    This is a major annoyance, and I don't think it will be fixed. RIM's really losing it in the consumer market.
    Losing what? That's like saying Microsoft is failing because of a few software "Annoyances".
    01-11-09 09:03 AM
    I really dont care about it LOL
    01-11-09 09:07 AM
    I have found that if you use a phone call to save a number from the call log it goes to default work, but if you save a number from a text message it will default to mobile. That is the only way I have found to correct that inconvenience.
    I just bought the 9700 and it no longer sets the text message contact as mobile... Very Frustrating!!!
    01-13-10 09:23 PM
    No way to change this, but if you email RIM at with it, maybe they will listen and allow for a choice to pop up when you click Save to ask what field to drop the number into before it takes you to the contact screen to fill in everything else.
    Thanks. I just composed a big email to them stating I wanted three things fixed:
    - Automatic 'number type' for new contacts
    - Multiple alarms
    - Glitch in conversation-style SMS (where an old message shows as being 'received one minute ago' days later & won't go away)

Hopefully, if enough of us email them, they'll realise people who buy their phones care about the details!
    04-20-10 08:06 AM
    I really dont care about it LOL
    Yet you commented anyway. Is it comments like this that got you that "genius of geniuses" title? Cause if so, I'll ask the newbs for advice instead of the gogs.

Aside from that, this is very frustrating, and you would think in this day and age that 90% of bb users aren't calling colleagues at work, they're calling them on their mobile phones. Drop down would be great. I had phones asking me where to put numbers years ago, but OS 5.? can't do it? Quick one for whoever said the Bold doesn't save to mobile from text. Is it just the Bold, or all OS 5 phones? if you know.
    07-13-10 09:03 PM
    Yet you commented anyway. Is it comments like this that got you that "genius of geniuses" title? Cause if so, I'll ask the newbs for advice instead of the gogs.
    You are addressing a comment made over a year and a half ago.
    Hopefully that "vent" made you feel better

Aside from that, this is very frustrating, and you would think in this day and age that 90% of bb users aren't calling colleagues at work, they're calling them on their mobile phones.
    It is irrelevant where or how the call is being placed and your 90% number
    is simply ludicrous. The default to "Work" is a holdover from RIMs original roots.
    That is the majority of users were business users so that made sense as the default.
    Also, mobile phones were not as readily available so the option did not make sense
    then. Should they have changed that? Yes and I have made that point a million times.
    Will they? Who knows?

Drop down would be great.
    No argument here but unfortunately it is a limitation we ALL have to live with.
    07-13-10 09:56 PM
    I don't know if this will help, but someone on another forum suggested Mobihand.com's "Add Number As" software. As much as an annoyance this feature may be, it might be worth $2.95 (or at least a free trial).
    07-20-10 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD