Hi,

I have a Blackberry Curve with tmobile. If I manually switch it to wifi, it works great. I can make phone calls and get data with no problem. If I leave the wifi area (my home network) it switches to cell service. No problem

If I come back into the wifi area, it does not switch automatically DESPITE that I've got it to say "wifi preferred" and to "connect automatically."

What gives?
    06-01-08 11:40 AM
    There's one area that comes to mind that you could check for a problem. Go to Manage Connections > wifi options. Verify that wifi selection mode is set to automatic. You could also try a battery pull. With your phone on, remove the battery for 30 seconds, then put it back in.
    06-01-08 12:24 PM
    Also make sure wifi is set to preferred, in the Mobile Network section / Connection preferrence...
    06-01-08 12:26 PM
    Hi,

I tried the battery pull and that seemed to not work. I had already had my settings for "wifi preferred" and "wifi to automatic." When I put the battery back in, and it booted it up, it went straight to EDGE but the wifi did not connect.

I have 2 computers, an ipod touch and one tivo...all connect wirelessly with no problem. I 'm using a Microsoft base station as a router v1. I've never had a trouble connecting to it. The router is literally six feet away from the Curve right now.

When I manually connect the curve to the network, it works just fine and I get "UMA."

Any other suggestions? It'd be great if this switched from cell to wifi without a hitch
    06-01-08 12:35 PM
    It works correctly when you manually connect, but it fails to find it automatcly.

I wonder if your router is set to broadcast SSID? If it does not broadcast, no way for the Curve to find it.
    06-01-08 12:46 PM
    I wonder if your router is set to broadcast SSID? If it does not broadcast, no way for the Curve to find it.
    how would I find this out? It gives a SSID readout on the curve (like say @office <--if that was my network). I can tinker around in the admin page and see if it's broadcasting that. what would I be looking for?
    06-01-08 12:47 PM
    just checked, yes it's broadcasting
    06-01-08 12:48 PM
    That rules out an easy answer.

For troubleshooting, can you reset your router to factory default?

Have you done a site survey? Interference from one of your neighbours might prevent it from finding home.

There are 11 channels to choose from. LinkSys and most others default to channel 6.

Open the Site Survey from Manage Connections / Wifi Options / Wifi Diagnostics / Site Survey.

Look for a clear channel if there is interference. You will have to reconnect Wifi after making a change.
    06-01-08 02:33 PM
    I did all that. My network and my neighbor's network comes up. That's it. I'm not sure what "selecting a clear channel" means but both are at 6. In my router, should I change this?
    06-01-08 02:39 PM
    here is something, I powered it off and back on and it says in Wifi (of Wifi diagnostics

Status "No networks found" but manually it finds 2 networks
    06-01-08 02:41 PM
    do you think a master reset (where you wipe everything) would work?
    06-01-08 02:45 PM
    I would reset the router to factory defaults before wiping my BB.
    06-01-08 02:57 PM
    okay I'll give that a try
    06-01-08 02:58 PM
    yay! that fixed it!

Thanks, guys!!!
    06-01-08 03:16 PM
    Excellent. Now you can reintroduce security and lock it down.

I have a neighbour that uses the default channel 6. The interference limited my coverage in that direction.

Changing to an unused channel will insure you and your neighbour can co-exist peacefully.
    06-01-08 03:32 PM
    done and done. tested it out, all works well.

you guys are great! thanks so much! I just found out (Yesterday) that you can receive calls over wifi. Man, it's like getting a brand new phone! (I'd never even touched the wifi until today and I've had it since xmas!)
    06-01-08 04:48 PM
    Unlicenced Mobile Access is a feature of T-Mobile service that makes it a bargin by World standards.

Crystal clean VoIP no matter how poor your cell reception. Throw in the unlimited data and your BlackBerry really sings.

Our carrier is teasing us with UMA that does not include BlackBerry data. So close, but so useless.
    06-01-08 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD