Hi all,
    I've scanned some of the posts but being so green I may be missing the obvious. I've been trying to play videos on my new curve using the media manager software. Every attempt has failed. I recently added a 1GB card so I don't think that is the problem. Now, even when I try to play the sample video (BlackBerry in the Sample Videos folder) it errors out. I get "An erorr has occured attempting to play media" with a red error message in the upper right-hand-corner displaying "error playing."

So, obviously I've hosed up something. How do I correct this?
    Thanks in advance
    Doug
    09-19-07 07:27 AM
    Reload the OS.
    09-19-07 08:34 AM
    Wow! Doesn't that imply that I will loose the contacts and phone numbers that are already loaded? Is there a way to export them first?
    Ok, how do I go about reloading the OS?
    Thx
    09-19-07 10:30 AM
    Any idea how I might have hosed up the OS? Just wanting to be sure I don't do that again!
    09-19-07 10:31 AM
    Prerequisites
    Install the BlackBerry Handheld Software to the PC
    Go to www.att.com/bbdownloads and follow the on-screen instructions for software download.
    Go to, and open the folder where you downloaded the "Handheld Software" software on your PC.
    Double click on the file.
    Choose the desired setup language and select OK.

"Preparing to Install..." will display.

The InstallShield Wizard screen will appear, click Next to begin.

Select the desired language from the drop down list and click Next.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 09-19-07 at 10:45 AM.
    09-19-07 10:42 AM
    Select the radio button for "I accept the terms in the license agreement" and click Next.

The handheld software will be installed on the PC.

Once the installation is complete, click Finish.

Verify the BlackBerry Handheld Software is installed on the PC.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 09-19-07 at 10:45 AM.
    09-19-07 10:43 AM
    Install the BlackBerry Handheld Software to the Device
    NOTE: The install process can take between 5 and 30 minutes to complete, do not disconnect the BlackBerry during this time.

1. Connect the BlackBerry to the desktop computer.
    2. Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
      • IMPORTANT: If the software offers to automatically upgrade the device, click Cancel.
    3. Manually back up the data on the device.
      IMPORTANT: Even though there is an option to automatically back up the device application data within the Application Loader Wizard, it is recommended to perform a manual back up via Backup and Restore.
    4. Access Application Loader and follow the on-screen instructions for software install.
    5. The Application Loader Wizard screen will appear, click Next to begin.

6. If prompted for the security password, enter the correct password and click Next.
    7. A list of default applications to be installed will appear, click Next.
    09-19-07 10:48 AM
    1. f prompted to backup application data, select the radio button for "Do not automatically back up and restore..." and click Next.
    2. To start the software loading process to the handheld, click Finish.
      IMPORTANT: If reloading handheld software due to an operating system issue, click Advanced and select "Erase all application data" and "Erase all currently installed applications".
    3. The Application Loader Wizard will update the handheld.
    4. A confirmation window will appear indicating a successful update.
    5. Once the installation is finished manually restore the data to the device.
    NOTE: The manual back up and restore is optional, I never do it manually I always just get the device to auto restore, and this assumes you are reloading the ATT software, and if you want to see it all on one page (as the rules for here only allow for 4 images in a post) you can view it online at ATT Knowledge Base
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 09-19-07 at 10:54 AM.
    09-19-07 10:49 AM
    Bla1ze, is that posted elsewhere here? If not, I think you should get that stickied!

curve_newbie, I would recommend downloading the latest Vodaphone or Optus OS package rather than the default ATT. Find it through this post.
    09-19-07 12:01 PM
    UPDATE

I received a voicemail sent via e-mail - which wouldn't play - I didn't expect it too play but tried it regardless. After a pause, the Blackberry rebooted! When it came back up, low and behold, it played the voicemail msg AND the sample video. This is a bit strange because I had shut the Curve down before posting this ... guess it needed two reboots!

So, my question is - should I really reload the OS at this point? My sense is no.

Also, does the Vodaphone or Optus OS have advantages to the standard ATT? If so, what are they and are there capabilities that would not be available if I upgraded?

Thanks
    09-19-07 01:30 PM
    alas, I have no control over stickies, but I'm sure if the mods see fit they will move and sticky it.
    09-19-07 02:37 PM
    Repost it under its own title, like "How-To: Back up your device and reload the OS," then use the Contact Us link to ask a modmin to sticky it for ya. You've got my vote.
    09-19-07 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD