Hey all,

I just got a new Blackberry Curve 8320 (it's my first one). Anyway, I installed the software that came with the phone (device manager and desktop manager) and then restarted my computer. After I restarted and tried opening device manager, I would get an icon in the system tray and nothing would open if I try clicking on it. As for the desktop manager, i tried opening it and it wouldn't budge.

After getting pissed off that it wouldn't work, I uninstalled it and tried downloading the software from the blackberry website... I installed it and I got the same result.

Can you guys help me with this problem? I don't know.. maybe I am doing something wrong or I need to enable something on the blackberry first?

Thanks!

-Danny
    02-24-08 03:55 PM
    Ok, let's not worry about the system tray icons, that's not really that big of a deal.

When you start Desktop Manager are there any error messages or what EXACTLY happens?

If you are using Windows Vista, are you using Desktop Manager 4.3?
    02-24-08 04:03 PM
    This sounds similar to a problem I had. If you're using Windows XP, go to the device manager and check the Universal Serial Bus Controllers and see if the BB usb drivers loaded. I had to manually do it, by right clicking on "Blackberry Smartphone" and installing the driver. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    02-24-08 04:10 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply.. anyway, when I try to open Desktop Manager, a little window pops out then vanishes right away.. very strange... I can't even make out what it says on the window because it disappears as soon as I open it..
    02-24-08 05:43 PM
    What does the window look like? Is it mostly black? You also didn't answer my question if you are using Windows Vista or not? If I had to guess, for whatever reason, you either don't have Desktop Manager installed correctly, or are not starting it right.
    Last edited by sunkast; 02-24-08 at 05:56 PM.
    02-24-08 05:49 PM
    I'm using Vista.. the window isn't black.. it looks like a regular window with a white background in the middle, but the window flashes and disappears as soon as I open it for some reason.. I don't know.. i installed the manager with the cd that came with the phone and when that didn't work, i downloaded it off the website and it still didn't work.. is there a specific way I should start it?
    02-24-08 06:18 PM
    Welcome to blackberry and once you get past this issue you will be plaeased. Are you installing desktop version 4.3?
    02-24-08 06:21 PM
    I recommend that you go to blackberry.com and download Desktop Manager 4.3.
    02-24-08 06:52 PM
    I recommend that you go to blackberry.com and download Desktop Manager 4.3.
    I have the same problem. I am using DTM 4.3 on a dual-core laptop with Vista Business. DTM worked for a couple of days and then had the same symptoms as described in the start of this thread. When starting DTM, it quickly flashes but won't start. I've uninstalled/reinstalled, but it doesn't help. Threads on other forums show that this is pretty wide-spread, but there isn't a consensus on why this is happening. Any further ideas?
    03-04-08 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD