Help just upgraded from pearl to curve 8310 att carrier
    can send and recieve emails but cannot open attachments
    I have resent my service book it said successfully
    any ideas??? thanks for your help
    11-09-08 03:45 PM
    It sounds like when you upgraded, the BlackBerry Attachment Service didn't get selected for install on your Curve. If your device OS is installed on your PC, run Desktop Manager App Loader, check the box for BlackBerry Attachment Service, and let the App Loader install it. If you don't have your Curve OS installed on your PC, download and install it from here: BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites then proceed as described above.
    11-09-08 05:40 PM
    what now
    11-09-08 06:26 PM
    Welcome to the CB family - have you tried a battery pull?
    11-09-08 06:28 PM
    There is a 3rd party app but I can't remember the name but I do know it was free and worked on PDF files.
    11-09-08 07:26 PM
    I think JeffH is probably right. But if it's a new device (which it seems to be) I would take it back and have it replaced. What JeffH recommended is not complicated (though it would have seemed complicated to me if I had not recently done an OS update), it's not something you should have to deal with on a new device.
    11-10-08 01:00 AM
    I don't see anything like that on my App Loader. I see Docs to Go and the few applications I have downloaded. That's all. Using Desktop Manager 4.6.
    03-27-09 07:55 PM
    That's the classic symptom of not having your device OS installed as an app on your PC. Go back to my Post #2 in this thread. It explains what to do.
    03-27-09 07:56 PM
    I'm confused. I have Blackberry Desktop Manager and Blackberry Device Manager installed on my computer. Version 4.6. I went to the link above and downloaded and installed again. Dumb question but is "having OS installed on computer" different than having these two items installed?
    03-27-09 08:50 PM
    I'm confused. I have Blackberry Desktop Manager and Blackberry Device Manager installed on my computer. Version 4.6. I went to the link above and downloaded and installed again. Dumb question but is "having OS installed on computer" different than having these two items installed?
    No, that's not a dumb question, it's a misunderstanding that's causing your problem. You have to download your BlackBerry device's Operating System to your PC and install it as an app on your PC. It's a separate file from the Desktop Manager and Device Manager. You can get it from the link I posted. Get the same version that is installed on your BlackBerry. Options / About, the 3rd line, tells you what version you have on your BlackBerry. Download the exe to your PC and double-click it. That's all you have to do to install it. Then DM and CrackMem and other tools will be able to find it.
    03-27-09 08:56 PM
    Ok well AT&T doesn't make it easy. I finally found the OS install and downloaded the file. When clicking the exe it starts up and will not let me go any farther unless I connect and choose my phone. From there it will not let me do anything but upgrade my phone. No options to install anything on my pc.

I'm going to try again tomorrow with a fresh look at all this.

Thanks for your help.

Edit - I was able to see my other applications etc. when connecting my BB
    Last edited by Stormdancing; 03-27-09 at 10:10 PM. Reason: added
    03-27-09 10:09 PM
    I actually upgraded my OS to the latest version. once i did that , I was able to open all files including pdf.
    03-28-09 02:21 AM
    Back at it again this morning and now I can open attachments. Even pdf. I haven't tried to open one stored on my memory card yet, but that's my next project.

Thank you so much for your kind patient help.

Dana
    03-28-09 11:23 AM
    Unless you have Docs To Go, the only file type you'll be able to open on your media card is txt files. The Attachment viewer only works for email attachments.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD