Hey there guys,

I'm having a problem. I have the Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.3 installed on my Compaq laptop. I wanted to also have it installed on my Gateway PC to be able to use either or. Well, when I went to install it on my PC, while its going through the install process, all of a sudden it stops and a popup is displayed saying:

"Error 1720: there is a problem with this Windows installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action RIM_InstallOptionalITAdminFiles script error 2146827859, Microsoft VBScriptruntime error: ActiveX component cant create object: 'Scripting.FileSystemObject' L..."

This is really confusing because I have no clue what this message means. Has this happened to anybody? Or is there something wrong with my PC?

I have the same Operating system installed on both computers, both update and running with no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
    07-01-08 10:00 PM
    Sounds to me like something is wrong with the installer for your DM go to BlackBerry.com and download a new one. If that does not work my guess is that something in you desktops OS is broken or missing try to run a repair on the OS
    07-01-08 10:06 PM
    Hum looked into the Error number looks like it could have something to do with your Browser settings, this makes sense. someone suggested "You probably have a setting in IE that is preventing you from running the activex control. Go to Tools...Internet options...Security and look at the section called "ActiveX Controls and Plugins" and make sure they are allowed to execute..." on another site they also said you may try to turn down your security setting in your browser.
    07-01-08 10:11 PM
    07-01-08 10:12 PM
    I originally tried to install the Desktop manager from the CD-ROM that came with my Blackberry phone and had this problem. Then I tried to install it by downloading it from blackberry.com but had the same problem. Does this mean that it is my computer the culprit?
    07-01-08 10:12 PM
    Thank you both sunkast and MJGEGB. I actually dont use IE, I use firefox. But will try both of your suggestions. I will let you guys know what the outcome is.
    07-01-08 10:14 PM
    just downloaded and will install the Windows Script 5.6.
    07-01-08 10:18 PM
    Someone else says that installing "Windows Script" will fix the problem this is another possibility, however I recommend fiddling with you Browser settings first. let me know if this helps Oh and just so you know your error is just a runtime error which means something was missing broken or the wind blew to hard, and the code that was running was unable to continue so it jumped to the error handling which gave you that near useless error message.
    07-01-08 10:21 PM
    Guys, I was able to fix the problem by installing the Windows Script 5.6 as sunkast recommended. sunkast, thank you so much. And MJGEGB, thank you also for the help.
    07-01-08 10:51 PM
    even if you use Firefox which I do as well Xp and vista use IE to open any folders/directories and so on not saying stop using firefox it's a great browser and IMO will prevent about 90% of all your computer issues. If you like Mozilla FF take a look at SeaMonkey it has a lot more features to it. Glade that worked can't believe Sunkast beat me to it LOL.
    07-01-08 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD