I haven't had my new BB Curve (8330) for very long. Yesterday I decided to do a bit of listing on Craigslist, so I used my new handy-dandy phone to take the pics. Last night all was good. Took pics, plugged the phone into the comp, selected the 'mass media' thingy, and the windows camera wizard popped up and downloaded all the pics just like when I use my digi camera. This morning I go through through all the same steps, but when I plug the phone into the comp the wizard doesn't pop up (yes I did select the Mass Media thingy again). So, I go to 'My Computer' and click on the BB icon. It opens a list of folders, but they're all empty - even the Pictures folder. Double check on my phone, and yes, all the pics are there - the computer just can't seem to see them. Tried it on another computer with the same results - empty folders and no pics. Hubby says I shouldn't have used the windows camera wizard to get my pics last night (I should have just gone to the folder and copied them out) and that maybe I messed my phone up when I did that. His phone (also a Curve) is working fine and I've been using it all day for my pics... Did I mess it up somehow? Is there anyway to get it to recognize that the folders are NOT empty so that I can retrieve my pics?

On a side note - are the new BB's less durable than the old ones? I had my last BB (an Edge) for 3 yrs and never had a single problem with it. Since we upgraded to the Curves (last month) we seem to have problem after problem. They've already sent hubby one replacement phone after his first one went crazy and started ringing randomly and turning itself on and off at all hours of the day, and the track ball on the replacement only seems to work when it feels like it...
    02-13-09 10:06 PM
    While the phone is on pull the battery out, wait a few seconds and replace. When it boots back up go to options>media card>enable mass storage ON. Browse to where the pics are and they should be gone.

Battery pulls will normally fix this........The options part I suggested is just so it will keep your phone in Mass Storage Mode and you wont have to keep selecting it.
    02-13-09 10:08 PM
    Hubby did the battery pull already and it didn't fix it. He messed with it for a couple of hours this afternoon. He tried re-loading the software on the comps too.

I didn't know you could turn the mass media selection off, but I need to keep that option turned on because we also use our phones as our modems (I'm connected right now through my phone).
    02-13-09 10:18 PM
    So they are missing from the folder but you see them on the phone. When you try to delete the pics from the phone what happens? Do you have a card reader or an adapter/reader on the pc to plug that directly into the pc?
    02-13-09 10:26 PM
    I tried deleting one and it deleted with no arguments.

No, I don't have a card reader or anything...
    02-13-09 10:34 PM
    The only thing I can suggest is backing up all the media on your card. Even if you need to email the pics to the home pc, once that is done reformat the card. options>media card>menu button>format then I would test it out by taking a few pics and using the mass storage mode as you normally would. Use windows to browse to the bb folder, pictures etc and dragging them over. I have never used the windows camera wizard so I have no idea what that would do to your pictures transferring them that way - I suspect nothing. Possibly corrupted the card?
    02-13-09 10:45 PM
    Ok, I did the reformat. It said it was successful, but it did leave all the pics on the card (I assumed they'd be wiped out?) I did take a couple of extra pics tho, just to make sure. When I plugged back into the comp, this time it auto-opened a window with the BB folder. Went to the Picture folder and... still empty. :-(
    02-13-09 10:59 PM
    A format would've cleared the card. Are the images on the card or are they in device memory?

I've seen confusion before as to where the images were - from people far smarter than I am.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 11:48 PM
    Ok, I'm beginning to see some of where I'm going wrong, but it's still not totally clear to me yet... I assumed device memory WAS the card (as in the card was the device it was referring to). The images are in device memory. I tried taking a pic, but don't see any other way to save it except to save to device. How do I tell it to save to the card? When I go into My Pictures folder on the phone, the only sub-folder listed is device memory.

And, how does all this card vs device memory confusion tie into my problem with the comp not being able to see my pics? I feel like I must be really dumb and just not seeing something that should be obvious...
    02-14-09 12:09 AM
    before you take the next pic, hit the menu button and choose options....at the bottom you will see store pictures...click there and you can chage the option
    02-14-09 12:31 AM
    YES! That seems to have solved the problem!

Odd tho - if it will only work from the card, and my phone was defaulting to device memory, then why did it work last night....? Oh well - don't really care, it works now! :-)
    02-14-09 12:46 AM
    And, how does all this card vs device memory confusion tie into my problem with the comp not being able to see my pics? I feel like I must be really dumb and just not seeing something that should be obvious...
    By default, all smartphones save everything to device memory. When you add a memory card, you have to change the default

All too often, someone hands me their smartphone & tells me something is wrong & I find a full device memory & an emplty media card.

The best way to run your BlackBerry or WinMo device is to leave the programs in device memory & save images, music & files/docs to your card. When you do this, even a WinMo device runs well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 03:12 AM
    Looks like kind of an older post but I had the a similar problem trying to get pictures off my phone onto my computer but it was by default sending them to the device memory. So is there a way now to get the images that have saved to the device memory to my memory card so I can transfer them?
    10-08-09 12:21 PM
    Yes.

Media / Explore is your native file manager. You can move them one at a time.
    10-08-09 01:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD