I received today my first Blackberry, the 8350i, and when activating my phone, I can't make phone calls. It says OFF in the top right and the Sprint person I was talking to couldn't figure it out.

I have done the Master Reset Radio and gone to Manage Connections in the menu and when I try to turn on Mobile Network it goes gray and the red X stays.

Help?!
    12-26-08 12:26 PM
    Try a battery pull. With the phone on, remove the battery for 30 seconds, then put it back in. If this doesn't work. Take it back and ask for a new SIM card. Or see if an rep will put their SIM in, to see if it works. If it doesn't, ask for a new phone.
    12-26-08 12:43 PM
    You have a faulty device. Take it back and do not leave without a new one. Check the new one in-store.

Oh, sorry sunkast. I read the OP's post and did not see yours.
    12-26-08 12:47 PM
    Have you tried going to the "Manage Connections" and turing the Mobile Network on?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Edit: sorry, somehow the last half didn't load right when I first read your post.
    Last edited by Silverwings2005; 12-26-08 at 12:56 PM.
    12-26-08 12:52 PM
    My BB did this quite often, but once I upgraded the OS I haven't had this happen since.
    12-26-08 02:39 PM
    Well, Sprint as of now is sending me a replacement.

After playing around with the camera and looking around I decided to try one more time removing the battery. I did that and connected to Mobile Network in the Manage Connections and it fianlly connected to Nextel!

I've been calling everyone on my house by number and DC and its working perfectly. I have full bars.

Should I wait at least another day or two before I cancel the shipment of my replacement?
    12-26-08 03:52 PM
    your radio was off. that was why you couldn't make any calls. apparently when you get a new bb or master reset and old of the radio is automatically turned off. if it happens again go to bb apps. menu> manage connections and check the box next to Mobil next work.

this is also how you can keep your bb on during a plane ride. turn off all connections. then restore then after.
    12-26-08 05:05 PM
    Is the only way to turn on the radio by going to Manage Connections and selecting Mobile Network?

It was working fine all weekend until this morning when I went to the Dentist and when trying to call my dad it said OFF at the right top! So I went to to Manage Connects and tried to connect Mobile Network but it is now not working like when I first got it.
    12-29-08 10:19 AM
    Sometimes I accedentaly turn myne off (sux by the way) I dnt know how I do it but I do lol maybe that's what's happenen to u? Idk

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 11:14 AM
    I don't know either! LOL! How is it that one turns it off?!

I did the Wipe thing and its working again. I don't know if to remain with this phone .
    12-29-08 12:30 PM
    are you sure you are not putting in on stand-by?
    12-29-08 12:32 PM
    How do you put it in and bring it out of standby?
    02-27-09 12:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD