I recently got an 8310 after having the 8700c for a few years, so this is my first time using a memory card with my blackberry. I have a placed a 2gb micro sd card in the memory, and when I check memory available on the BB, it says there is 1.8GB free space. When I connect to the computer by USB and I turn on the mass storage mode, i can not access the sc card. The drive is not showing up in windows explorer and when using the BB desktop, it only finds the internal memory. What am I doing wrong??? Thanks.
    03-03-08 04:16 PM
    Have you tried formatting the memory card? Also you should use the Media Manager for transferring files to the BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-08 05:32 PM
    The use as mass media device should be enabled to "see"the drive. you cannot access the memory card from the BB while it is plugged into the PC
    03-03-08 05:48 PM
    With mass storage, I get a popup window that allows me to use the bb as a flash drive if I would like.

I had the same problem as cp. I had to manually assign a drive letter to my bb media card.

finally found the info I was seeking:
    Connect bb
    right click My computer
    Click manage
    Disk management
    right click on your bb media card and manually change the drive letter
    Last edited by jbonnot03; 03-03-08 at 06:53 PM. Reason: New Info
    03-03-08 06:48 PM
    Thanks jbonnot03. That was my issue. the BB was pulling the F: drive, and I already had a drive mapped there. Refigured it to the B: and all now works. Thanks again.
    03-04-08 10:12 AM
    Thanks... that worked for me too. It was driving me crazy at work. I should have known that a crackberry member would have posted a solution...quick search and I'm adding new video and music as I type...Thanks again!
    06-19-08 12:39 PM
    No problem. Glad I could save someone else the headache and some $. I spent a long time figuring it out and even bought a new card.
    06-19-08 02:41 PM
    good fix.

also I think that the media manager is crap... just adding files to the card is so much easier and faaster by just click and drop. dont you think? BBManager slows the whole process down. IMO
    06-19-08 03:57 PM
    I actually just put an 8GB SDHC card into an 8310 running OS 4.2.2.170(straight outta the box) and the device recognized all 8GBs.

I was wondering if the problem arised when connecting the device to the computer or what???
    06-22-08 03:45 PM
    I actually just put an 8GB SDHC card into an 8310 running OS 4.2.2.170(straight outta the box) and the device recognized all 8GBs.

I was wondering if the problem arised when connecting the device to the computer or what???
    Yes, the problem that was being discussed occurs when the blackberry tries to use a drive letter already in use, when connected to a PC. It typically occurs in a networked work environment, where you may have many drive letters assigned. The OS should map the blackberry to a free letter, but sometimes it doesn't. Manually assigning a drive letter solves the problem.
    06-22-08 06:19 PM
    I have had that problem with just trying to attach too many FireLights to my PC. I would recommend as well that when connecting BB to PC make sure all other external drives are disconnected or turned off.
    06-23-08 05:20 AM
    I assigned my BlackBerry to the B: drive! It's reserved on all PCs (used to be for a second floppy drive), so it's guaranteed to be available!

B: for BlackBerry!
    06-23-08 05:27 AM
    Yes, the problem that was being discussed occurs when the blackberry tries to use a drive letter already in use, when connected to a PC. It typically occurs in a networked work environment, where you may have many drive letters assigned. The OS should map the blackberry to a free letter, but sometimes it doesn't. Manually assigning a drive letter solves the problem.
    Oh I see, I haven't run into this problem. I was searching for maximum capacity for microSD cards for a 8310. I ended up getting a 4GB and not having any problem using mass storage as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-08 02:21 AM
    The .2GB that you're missing goes to a difference in how gigabytes are calculated and how they're advertised when referring to storage devices. When they say 2GB, they mean 2 billion bytes, but there's actually 1024 bytes in a kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte, and 1024 megabytes in a gigabyte, or 1,073,741,824 bytes in a gigabyte. Some people call it "rounding", I call it "lying."
    06-25-08 05:16 AM
    Thanks jbonnot03.
    I had the same thing happen to me and I am now a very happy camper.

Al
    06-25-08 10:46 AM
    good fix.

also I think that the media manager is crap... just adding files to the card is so much easier and faaster by just click and drop. dont you think? BBManager slows the whole process down. IMO
    +1 The Roxio stuff is unnecessary...I deleted it...all you gotta do is just drag and drop the files in Windows, just like you would to a USB thumb drive...piece of cake!
    06-25-08 11:06 AM
    With mass storage, I get a popup window that allows me to use the bb as a flash drive if I would like.

I had the same problem as cp. I had to manually assign a drive letter to my bb media card.

Connect bb
    right click My computer
    Click manage
    Disk management
    i tried this but my media card doesnt show... im a computer incompetent so maybe i just cant figure it out?
    09-08-09 10:08 AM
    I am unable to change my drive - whats next, how do I bck up my data to my computer. I had to get a new phone and want to be sure that everything can be put on there.
    09-08-09 09:18 PM
    Thanks jbonnot03. My husband couldn't see his BB SD card in Windows Explorer. You're right -- another drive was using the same name. We both spent an hour searching Crackberry and Blackberry Forums. Finally your solution worked! Now he's dragged and dropped some downloaded ebooks from B&N and is reading them with the same cool Fictionwise eReader Pro that I've been using for the past week. Highly recommended -- who wants to carry a Kindle when we all have our BBs at hand 24/7?
    11-29-09 02:57 PM

Connect bb
    right click My computer
    Click manage
    Disk management
    jbonnot03: You may be surprised that a post from 2008 is still relevant. Just got a replacement Torch and couldn't access the SD Card. Your tips worked perfectly. Thanks!
    07-03-12 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD