I tried holding down the * button to lock the phone as that's how it locked on the Pearl. No such luck. Can you lock the keypad on the curve so it doesn't turn on and do things by accident?

Tyvmia
    06-19-08 12:59 PM
    press the letter K from your home screen.

make sure you have dialing from home screen turned off
    06-19-08 01:01 PM
    Just click on the padlock icon, and that locks the keypad.
    06-19-08 01:02 PM
    if you have the "input laguage selection shortcut" set to none [options>language] press alt+enter 2x (i hold alt and double tap enter)... found out by accident when it kept changin languages in my pocket, turned off the shrtcut and made sure it wasnt going to change itself again, to my suprise it locks it now
    06-19-08 01:08 PM
    You can also assign one of the two Convenience keys on the side of the phone to lock the phone. Go to Options, Screen/Keyboard scroll down to Right (or Left) Side Convenience Key Opens and select the current choice. Scroll down to Keyboard Lock, select it and save your choice.

Here is a list of other useful keyboard shortcuts BlackBerry Curve 8310 Tips and Tricks
    06-19-08 01:10 PM
    if you have the "input laguage selection shortcut" set to none [options>language] press alt+enter 2x (i hold alt and double tap enter)... found out by accident when it kept changin languages in my pocket, turned off the shrtcut and made sure it wasnt going to change itself again, to my suprise it locks it now
    Great tip!! Just changed my settings so that would work... and that is AMAZING!! Kudos

I usually just go to the Lock icon on the Home Screen.

I believe you can set it to lock when entered into a holster / pouch as well (assuming the case has the sleeper magnet!)
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 06-19-08 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Praise!!
    06-19-08 01:11 PM
    welcome to CB....heres some useful info>>> BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ
    06-19-08 01:12 PM
    I'm currently have been using the Right Convenience Key and that is working well so far. I like the Alt + Enter shortcut, but that will take two hands (I'm not that flexable).
    06-19-08 01:14 PM
    You can also assign one of the two Convenience keys on the side of the phone to lock the phone. Go to Options, Screen/Keyboard scroll down to Right (or Left) Side Convenience Key Opens and select the current choice. Scroll down to Keyboard Lock, select it and save your choice.
    I'm a newbie and didn't realize you could change the function of the convenience keys, awesome! thanks!
    06-19-08 01:20 PM
    You can also get Autolock which is a free program from geek and proud - BlackBerry Software
    06-19-08 01:22 PM
    D-roc Thats funny I did the same thing the other day and was like what the He!!. I fixed it. Got a kick out of it though.
    06-19-08 01:26 PM
    best thing i read all day! thanks. I am over joy now just like when i found out about hitting the space bar 2x in a email and text this site is GREAT. some times i need to lock my phone real fast that way some people cant get into it. normal i just power it off that way when they power it on it is locked
    06-19-08 01:29 PM
    press the letter K from your home screen.

make sure you have dialing from home screen turned off
    Now that is a shortcut! Thanks!
    06-19-08 01:40 PM
    Your guys are the best!!!! Thanks sooooo much!
    06-19-08 01:41 PM
    Now that is a shortcut! Thanks!
    Except I would rather have the convenience to be able to dial from the home screen. Sacrificing that for the ability to lock by pressing 'k' seems pointless. You are losing all of the functionality of dialing from the home screen to be able to lock your phone 1/2 second faster than hitting Alt-Enter 2x??

You can also use dialign from home screen to type in a contacts name from the home screen... the use the menu key and compose any type of message (or call)... which opens up a lot of shortcuts. And taking up a convenience ket to lock the phone seems pointless as well, considering the Alt-Enter shortcut is fast as well!
    06-19-08 01:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD